[SOLVED] Ping windows computer in home LAN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

[SOLVED] Ping windows computer in home LAN

Post by BigEasy »

I have local home network of 3 computers with shared folders on each. 2 linux, 1 windows.
1. Network name "Linux1"
2. Network name "Linux2"
3. Network name "Windows"

No problem with shared folders! When I type smb://Linux1 I get shared folder. When I type smb://Windows I get shared folder. e.t.c.
So name resolution working as planned. Correct? Or not? Common and technical sence told me it is correct.
Well... when I type ping Linux1.local ping works. Just as planned.
But when I ping windows computer I got unknown host. Ping Windows - unknown host, ping Windows.local - unknown host. Not destination unreacable, but unknown host!

My questions is: how for same system other host can be known and unknown at same time?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Ping windows computer in home LAN

Post by Pippin »

Take a look here to allow ping (ICMP) through Windows firewall:
http://www.sysprobs.com/enable-ping-reply-windows-7

Edit:
Changed link to Windows 7
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

An smb server broadcasts it's netbios name to everyone on your network. If you are a smb client and lucky you can access it by that netbios name because the client is set up to listen for those broadcasts which is why smb://Windows works.

Pinging is a DNS thing and the name you are pinging is a host name ( tcp ) not a netbios name. If you have no lan side DNS server - and most but not all of us don't - there is no way to correlate a host name with an ip address.

Pinging by hostname.local utilizes mDNS ( avahi ) which allows the resolution of host names to IP address when there is no local name server in the lan. Linux can use mDNS ( .local ) to ping another Linux machine, a macOS machine, but not a WIndows machine .... Unless that Windows machine is running Windows 10 and only if you allow it through it's firewall: Win10, Linux, mDNS, and Samba File Sharing

Ironically Windows 10 has no problem pinging Linux or macOS using mDNS out of the box. It just can't be reached that way without a firewall rule addition.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

I got it! Thank you very much.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Networking”