Ethernet TV Tuner installation

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aborza

Ethernet TV Tuner installation

Post by aborza »

Hi all,

I posted a different question on this topic in the Equipment section with no replies. I have done more research and have a different question now. I hope I am in the right forum this time. I hope this will get some replies. I am going from Win7 to Mint 18.3 X64 and would like to get the TV Tuner working. First, I think an explanation is in order.

I have a HDHomeRun-3 US (it plugs into the Ethernet port) that worked perfectly in Win7 until Siliconedust came out with "New Software." The current Win7 HDHR software will not see my HDHR-3 US tuner. I have decided to go to Mint but the HDHomeRun software included in Software Manager does not see the HDHR-3 US either. Clearly, Siliconedust has forced the obsolescence of a wonderful tuner. To be sure the tuner was not faulty, I found my original Install CD, installed the old HDHR software in a Win7 machine and the tuner works flawlessly. So, the tuner is good.

Now, back to Mint. It so happens that the original HDHR install disk has two LINUX packages for LINUX use. They are .tgz types. One is a "config_gui" and the other is a "libhdhomerun." So, I removed the HDHR config and gui packages I got from Software Manager and followed, to the best of my newbie abilities, the .tgz instructions at #7 at: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1525. I tried all the alternatives with no success. It may well be because of my ignorance.

I will try to attach the packages to this post.

In any event, I would like step by step instructions of how to install these packages in current Mint X64 to see if my HDHR-3 US can be made to work. If so, I will be more than happy to post the instructions and the old .tgz packages where ever you suggest. I am sure there are many HDHR-3 US owners that would like to see this. Indeed, it might make some more Mint converts.

Oops. Only one file was small enough to attach - "libhdhomerun." . Maybe that will be enough to get the help I need. If not, Tell me how and where to upload the "config_gui" package.

BTW, if I am in the wrong forum, how do I move this question to the right one?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ethernet TV Tuner installation

Post by phd21 »

Hi aborza,

That is weird that you did not get any replies. But, if no one has this hardware or experience with it, then you may not get any replies. And, it can take some time for people to notice your post. If after days you still get no reply, make another comment reply to keep it active.

I do not have one of the HomeRun devices although I would like a new one. I hear they are fantastic.

After some research into this, I noticed there are some firmware updates for these as well. Did you update the firmware? It could be the new software require the newer firmware.

These are some related links to what I could find on this.
Here is the most current 64-bit package in a deb file.
amd64 build : 20150826-0ubuntu1.16.04.0 : hdhomerun-config-gui package : Ubuntu
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hd ... d/11821135

The archive file you linked contains software that has to be compiled further using "make".

In order to compile or "make" software in Linux, you have to first install these:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install build-essential cmake libgtk2.0-dev
I ran make on this folder and it created 2 executable programs, "hdhomerun_config" and "libhdhomerun.so".

then you run

sudo make install
Linux - Silicon Dust
https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/

Linux Setup (Advanced) - Silicondust
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=30386

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
aborza

Post by aborza »

Thanks phd21,

I will add the package you suggest and try it again.

I am leery of using the latest software from Silicondust. My emails with them have made it clear they have no interest in making older equipment (perfectly usable) run after they bork it. They would rather sell new devices and their PVR software. I have no quibble re their PVR software, but to kill functioning equipment is cavalier and dishonest. As much as I liked the unit, I will not buy from them again. Hauppaugh does not do what Silicone dust did (at least not yet). After all, the hardware to tune TV has essentially not changed in years. A tuner is a tuner.

As for firmware updates, I have updated the firmware in the past, but will not do it again. No telling how they will bork it when they get the chance.

Thanks
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi aborza,

You are welcome...

If the newer deb file does not work, you can always uninstall (remove/purge it) to try an older version.
Example

sudo apt purge hdhomerun-config-gui
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
aborza

Post by aborza »

OK phd21,
I am way more ignorant than you suppose. But I tried. Here is what happened.

Since I was not sure if I screwed up my installation, I reinstalled Mint 18.3 X64 and fully updated it

Then I installed: sudo apt install build-essential cmake libgtk2.0-dev. It seemed to go well. I rebooted.

You said, "I ran make on this folder and it created 2 executable programs, "hdhomerun_config" and "libhdhomerun.so". (Emphasis supplied by me.) Since I don't know what I am doing, I tried to follow you literally.

I have the .tgz file I attached above and its uncompressed content folder on my desk top. Those files (folders?) are called libhdhomerun_20120405.tgz and libhdhomerun. I figured I needed to get to the folders so I opened the Terminal and changed directory to the desktop. I then ran "make" on the .tgz file. No cigar. I then ran "make" on the uncompressed folder. No cigar. I then figured I might need to run "make" on the contents of the uncompressed folder. I changed directory to that folder and ran "make" on the all contents at once. No cigar. My terminal calls and results are copied below. What did I do wrong? And should the correction also work on the larger .tgz file I could not upload?

aa@asush97mplus ~ $ cd /home/aa/Desktop
aa@asush97mplus ~/Desktop $ make libhdhomerun_20120405.tgz
make: Nothing to be done for 'libhdhomerun_20120405.tgz'.
aa@asush97mplus ~/Desktop $ make libhdhomerun
make: Nothing to be done for 'libhdhomerun'.
aa@asush97mplus ~/Desktop $ cd libhdhomerun
aa@asush97mplus ~/Desktop/libhdhomerun $ make
make: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
aa@asush97mplus ~/Desktop/libhdhomerun $

Thanks for any help you will offer.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

I have an older SiliconDust unit - HDHR3-US(CA). It works great under Linux.

I don't bother with the packages on the disk. And I haven't had any issues with it.

Simply use:

sudo apt-get -y install libgtk2.0-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libhdhomerun2
sudo apt-get -y install hdhomerun-config
The other thing you will need to deal with is the firewall.

For testing purposes, it might be easiest to try turning the firewall off. You can also make an advanced rule to allow in 192.168.1.0/24

Sorry, it's late, so I'm kind of rush posting this. If you need more help, I'll try to answer what I know when I have more time.
aborza

Post by aborza »

Hi ugly,

Thanks for the info, but......

I turned off the firewall, installed the files you suggested, rebooted and found nothing in the Sound and Video section. But that is probably OK.

I then installed Kaffeine, rebooted and in its configuration Kaffeine failed to see my HDHR-3 US. Source and Start Scan were grayed out.

When you have some time I hope you will come back with some ideas especially since you and I have the same HDHR-3 US and you got yours working.

Thanks
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

When I said it works 'great', I think I should clarify that it is still not very user friendly.

It will not show up under the Sound & Video menu. I think SiliconDust offers a GUI for Linux, but I when I tried it I didn't get it working (granted I was totally new to Linux, so maybe it does work).

Streaming works via the command line. It takes a lot of commands. I did make a script to make it easier, but I only set it up for the channels in my area. I don't stream very often, so it wasn't a concern for me. I did set up MythTV and mostly record. But setting up MythTV is incredibly frustrating, especially if you are new to Linux.

To get streaming working try these first few steps.

Open a terminal and enter:

hdhomerun_config discover
You should get a response similar to:
hdhomerun device 103B46F9 found at 192.168.1.64

103B46F9 is your device ID. Yours will be different. And the IP address will probably be different too.

Then try these next two commands. You'll have to replace the device ID with the one you got in the step above.

hdhomerun_config 103B46F9 set /tuner0/channelmap us-bcast
hdhomerun_config 103B46F9 scan /tuner0 scan0.txt
This should scan through the channels. It will also save the output from the terminal to a file named scan0.txt in your Home folder.

There are some more steps. But the notes I made on it are kind of shitty. I'll have to see if I have something better.

See if you can at least get this far. Maybe post the context of the scan0.txt file.

I'm not sure why Kaffiene wouldn't see it. I've never used the software.

Also, you don't need to reboot all the time. That's a Windows habit. :)

Return to “Networking”