Cinnamon VM Desktop Can't Find Network Card

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PeezyOnline

Cinnamon VM Desktop Can't Find Network Card

Post by PeezyOnline »

Hey Everyone!

I'm farily new to linux, but i'm a system admin here @ my job. I've setup a VM Running Linux Mint (cinnamon). I got into the network manager and added a static IP address, subnet, and gateway. I also made sure to fill out the proxy settings as our internet operates behind a proxy. Since then I can't seem to get the VM to ping anything other than itself. Firefox doesn't load any pages at all. Doesn't even come up and ask me for credentials for proxy. Also, if i run INXI -Nn command I get the following:

Network: Card: Failed to Detect Network Card!

Without access to the internet I can't do any kernel upgrades or updates. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cinnamon VM Desktop Can't Find Network Card

Post by jimallyn »

Are you trying to install the actual physical network card? You don't mention whether you are using VirtualBox, or VMWare, or what, but in VirtualBox you have to give the virtual machine access to the virtual network card that VB presents to the guest OS. As far as I know, you can't make the physical network card accessible by the VM. Never used VMWare or any other, so don't know about those.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Networking”