Nord VPN slow in Mint

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AllanPen
Level 2
Level 2

Nord VPN slow in Mint

Post by AllanPen »

I just signed on with Nord VPN. I am on my PC wired network and my DL speed is 160Mbps. I followed all the instruction on installing OpenVPN and Nord. When I got it going my speed was down to 12Mbps in Mint. When I booted to Windows 10 and did the simple Nord VPN install my speed there was 111Mbps; which is acceptable. There has to be some adjustment or something that I'm not aware of.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nord VPN slow in Mint

Post by phd21 »

Hi AllanPen,

Have you updated the "openVPN" software?

The link below has instructions for updating the openVPN software and keeping it updated
for both Linux Mint 18.x and 17.x, reboot afterward.
Is it possible to install the latest openvpn on without breaking everything[SOLVED]
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=242583&hilit=openvpn

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AllanPen
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Nord VPN slow in Mint

Post by AllanPen »

Well yes; when I was following the instructions, one instruction was to install the openvpn amd got the message that the latest was already installed. Thanks anyways. That is a huge speed drop from 160 to 12. I'll check the link you posted though.

Return to “Networking”