[SOLVED] Laptop Dell Latitude doesn't recognize Ethernet Adapter Linux Mint 18.3

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsal01

[SOLVED] Laptop Dell Latitude doesn't recognize Ethernet Adapter Linux Mint 18.3

Post by jsal01 »

Hello all.

I installed Linux Mint18.3 Cinnamon on a Dell Latitude E5550, and it doesn't connect to the cabled network. Later trying to see what was going on with the network I figured out it doesn't even recognize the Ethernet adapter.

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux salazarusj1-Latitude-E5550 4.10.0-38-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 10 16:32:20 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Any idea?

PS: The laptop is connected to a Dell dock (That thing that goes behind the laptop), but neither that ethernet port works, nor the one embedded in the laptop itself.

Thanks in advance to all!
Last edited by jsal01 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Laptop Dell Latitude doesn't recognize Ethernet Adapter Linux Mint 18.3

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jsal01.

Please, post the complete screen output of the inxi commandline

inxi -Fxz
This will give us a few more basic technical details, which may be helpful in finding out what the cause is.

Regards,
Karl
--
P.S.: On my office notebook Dell Latitude E5470 the ethernet connection works without problems. Connected through the docking station as well.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
jsal01

Post by jsal01 »

Return:

System:    Host: salazarusj1-Latitude-E5550 Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Latitude E5550
           Mobo: Dell model: 0TR3VC v: A00 Bios: Dell v: A12 date: 01/11/2016
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-5600U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10375
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 855 MHz 2: 1067 MHz 3: 799 MHz
           4: 1148 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz, 1920x1200@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS541010A7 size: 1000.2GB temp: 37C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 8.9G (49%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: /home size: 428G used: 2.2G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 25.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 278 Uptime: 1:49 Memory: 4017.2/7870.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Correct and weird, no ethernet adapter listed, only the wifi adapter.

Would you have a chance of booting the notebook from the Linux Mint live system and find out whether the live system detects the ethernet adapter?

I have come across cases where users unwillingly had hit the keyboard shortcut which disables the wifi adapter. Yet, I do not know of a way to disable the ethernet adapter. - Of course, a technical defect can never be ruled out completely.
When has the ethernet adapter last worked correctly?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Maybe---check if the Ethernet adapter is enabled in BIOS.
jsal01

Post by jsal01 »

karlchen wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:35 am Correct and weird, no ethernet adapter listed, only the wifi adapter.

Would you have a chance of booting the notebook from the Linux Mint live system and find out whether the live system detects the ethernet adapter?

I have come across cases where users unwillingly had hit the keyboard shortcut which disables the wifi adapter. Yet, I do not know of a way to disable the ethernet adapter. - Of course, a technical defect can never be ruled out completely.
I'll try this. I'll also check if the Ethernet adapter is enabled in BIOS.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

JerryF wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:56 amMaybe---check if the Ethernet adapter is enabled in BIOS.
Oops, yes, of course. - Has never occurred to me to switch off my ethernet card, because my notebook is firmly seated in its docking station while I am firmly seated in my office chair all day long. :oops:
Lifeline
jsal01

Post by jsal01 »

This is the best I could do:
https://imgur.com/gallery/jTYvCcO

I don't even see any Ethernet adapter there.
jsal01

Post by jsal01 »

karlchen wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:35 am Correct and weird, no ethernet adapter listed, only the wifi adapter.

Last time it worked correctly was on Windows 10. But I don't want to go back to it.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jsal01.

You had already posted your "inxi -Fxz" report as pure text and nicely readable in a post above. :)

Posting the same inxi report as a photograph
jsal01 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:36 pmhttps://imgur.com/gallery/jTYvCcO
does not add any new piece of information.

In particular, it does not tell whether you did as JerryF had suggested, entered the Bios setup of your machine and checked whether the Ethernet adapter had been disabled there.

In case you do not know how to enter the Bios and check the settings, then you will have to consult the Dell hardware manual.
On my Dell, right after power-on I press <F12>. <F12> will display a list of boot options. At the end of this list there is the option to enter the Bios setup.

This is what I did just to find out that the Ethernet adapter, named "First NIC" inside the Bios, can be disabled and re-enabled.

As the Ethernet adapter worked on Win10, it is imaginable that it has been disabled for whichever reason inside the Bios. So you should really check.

HTH,
Karl
Lifeline
jsal01

Post by jsal01 »

karlchen wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:34 pm Hello, jsal01.

You had already posted your "inxi -Fxz" report as pure text and nicely readable in a post above. :)

Posting the same inxi report as a photograph
jsal01 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:36 pmhttps://imgur.com/gallery/jTYvCcO
does not add any new piece of information.

In particular, it does not tell whether you did as JerryF had suggested, entered the Bios setup of your machine and checked whether the Ethernet adapter had been disabled there.

In case you do not know how to enter the Bios and check the settings, then you will have to consult the Dell hardware manual.
On my Dell, right after power-on I press <F12>. <F12> will display a list of boot options. At the end of this list there is the option to enter the Bios setup.

This is what I did just to find out that the Ethernet adapter, named "First NIC" inside the Bios, can be disabled and re-enabled.

As the Ethernet adapter worked on Win10, it is imaginable that it has been disabled for whichever reason inside the Bios. So you should really check.

HTH,
Karl
Thank you, Karl.

I really don't know what I was looking for.

I just entered the BIOS from a Linux Mint live cd, and took pictures with my cell phone (I couldn't post anything because I was in the BIOS :P ). I will check that "First NIC" to see if it is disabled.

Regards.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, jsal01.

As you took the photograph of "inxi -Fxz" while you used a Mint live system, the inxi photograph does hold a new piece of information, contrary to what I had said in my previous post.
The inxi report does not list an ethernet adapter. Means that the live system does not see the adapter, either. This means, either it has been disabled inside the Bios, or it cannot be detected, because it is defective.

Best regards,
Karl
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

karlchen wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:22 pm ...
The inxi report does not list an ethernet adapter. Means that the live system does not see the adapter, either. This means, either it has been disabled inside the Bios, or it cannot be detected, because it is defective.

Best regards,
Karl
@jsal01 and karlchen
I have a similar problem on my work Dell machine---Mint doesn't recognize the wireless card. It doesn't even show in inxi command.

@jsal01
I don't think karlchen saw all of the pics from the link you provided, just the first one of inxi -Fxz

From your pics of BIOS, it looks like your wireless device is enabled, so I don't think that's the problem.

If possible, use a wired connection, then update the kernel to a higher version than 4.10. Try one from the 4.15 series. You can update kernels from your Update Manager. After updating, have to reboot for the new kernel to load.
jsal01

Post by jsal01 »

karlchen wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:22 pm Hi, jsal01.

As you took the photograph of "inxi -Fxz" while you used a Mint live system, the inxi photograph does hold a new piece of information, contrary to what I had said in my previous post.

Best regards,
Karl
It turned out the Ethernet adapter was disabled in the BIOS, as you pointed.

I just had to "Enable" the NIC adapter in the bios, and when I rebooted the wired network worked.

Now:

inxi -Fxz

System:    Host: salazarusj1-Latitude-E5550 Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Latitude E5550
           Mobo: Dell model: 0TR3VC v: A00 Bios: Dell v: A12 date: 01/11/2016
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-5600U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10376
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1315 MHz 2: 1609 MHz 3: 1498 MHz 4: 1059 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz, 1920x1200@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (3) I218-LM driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS541010A7 size: 1000.2GB temp: 35C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 8.9G (49%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: /home size: 428G used: 2.2G (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: 25.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 227 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 1604.3/7870.3MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

@jsal01,

Please disregard most of my previous post. I was getting my wireless and wired confused.

Glad that you got it resolved.

Could you edit your original post and in the Subject: line, put the word [SOLVED] at the beginning? It helps others who browse the forum.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

JerryF wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:37 am@jsal01
I don't think karlchen saw all of the pics from the link you provided, just the first one of inxi -Fxz
I admit that you are correct. I had missed the Bios photographs. :oops: A screen size of 1024x600 only (Acer netbook) does have its downsides. :wink:

Now that I have seen it, I can tell: the menu tree on Latitude E5550 (jsal01) and Latitude E5470 (my office notebook) look very very similar. Maybe remembering so will be helpful in a future case.

And to jsal01:
Thumb up. Congratulation on making your ethernet adapter work again. :)
Lifeline
jsal01

Post by jsal01 »

JerryF wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:22 am @jsal01,

Please disregard most of my previous post. I was getting my wireless and wired confused.

Glad that you got it resolved.

Could you edit your original post and in the Subject: line, put the word [SOLVED] at the beginning? It helps others who browse the forum.
Done!

Thanks for the suggestion.
russellbateman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]Laptop Dell Latitude doesn't recognize Ethernet Adapter Linux Mint 18.3

Post by russellbateman »

Let me guild the lily here for the Dell Precision 5520 notebook, which is similar to the hardware dealt with in this post.

There's no NIC (only wireless) in this machine; typically, one buys the docking station and uses the NIC in that for wired Ethernet. Like the original poster here, I could not get wired Ethernet after smoking my Windows 10 installation and installing Linux Mint 19 Tara. (And, there's no way in hell I want to go back to Windows.)

I did these things in the BIOS:

1. Reboot and press F2 repeatedly--about 2-3 times per second until gaining entrance to the BIOS.
2. Open System Configuration.
3. Click on Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration; I did the following:
x Enable Thunderbolt Technology Support (checkbox was already checked)
x Enable Thunderbolt Technology Adapter Boot Support (I had to check this)
x Enable Thunderbolt Technology Adapter Pre-Boot Modules (I had to check this)
. Security level - User Authorization (radio button was already marked)
4. Exit the BIOS with update.
5. Relaunch the notebook.
6. Linux Mint came up and I had a wired Ethernet connection.
7. Incidentally, the USB ports on the dock also began to work after this adjustment.

Thanks for this post, guys!
Stella365

Re: [SOLVED]Laptop Dell Latitude doesn't recognize Ethernet Adapter Linux Mint 18.3

Post by Stella365 »

Wow, thank you guys. I was having the same problem and your suggestions helped me a lot.

Return to “Networking”