Lost 130 Mbps of band width and don't know why. (solved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lost 130 Mbps of band width and don't know why. (solved)

Post by ort »

About two weeks ago the computer in my bedroom seems to have lost about 130 Mbps of band width. I pay for 400Mbps of bandwidth and all the computers in the house get it as verified by speed checks. One day while checking the bedroom computer I noticed it was only getting 270 Mbps. Its been very consistent for the last 2 weeks or so (between 265 and 275). All the other computers in the house still get 400 to 430. I have a wired system and all computers are running Mint 17.3
I had installed vnstati and network usage monitor applet around the time of the drop so I uninstalled all that to no avail. I also ran a known good cable directly from the router to the bedroom computer thinking the cable that snakes thru all the walls etc from the router to the bedroom might be bad but no change. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Lost 130 Mbps of band width and don't know why.

Post by all41 »

Boot that computer using a .iso image in the live mode--check it there.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Post by ort »

All41
What a great idea. I never thought of that. So you see, this is why I'm not a tech billionaire. I did it and got 430Mbps. So that means the problem lies in my implementation of Mint. I'm still kicking it around to see if I can blindly stumble on the solution. Any help from the masses would be greatly appreciated.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The next step would be to boot normally and go to Menu/Users and Groups
and create a new user. Log out and log back in as the new user and test your connect speed there
New users get a fresh set of config files.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ort wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 pm I have a wired system
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Post by ort »

Hey guys,
Sorry about the delayed reply. I have made what I think may be some progress. I have been using the "legacy.speedtest dot net" by Ookla website for my speedtests in the past. It has always been very consistent and I like the format. When this current problem cropped up I started shopping around other speedtests. I found that most, if not all, gave me results in the 380 to 440 Mbps range. I then tried Ookla's "new" test and lo and behold it shows 420Mbps. I then investigated what was different between the "new" and the "old" test sites. Adobe Flash seemed to be the major difference. The "old" site uses Flash, the "new" one does not. I then investigated Flash and found that an update was released on 6-07-18. The Flash in my browser auto updates. I don't know how long it takes between the release of the up date and the "auto update" but its right in the time range when I first noticed the problem. Based on that I am GUESSING that the problem lies in the Flash update. Thats as far as I've gotten.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I like to avoid any speed testing sites that use Flash, as that does not accurately reflect your conditions.

use this instead.

no www. preface, just simply

speedof dot me

replace space dot space with a single . 'period' of course.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

avoid any speed testing sites that use Flash
yep--I also use https://testmy.net/
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

https://www.google.com/search?q=isp+speed+test then click RUN SPEED TEST
you can delete your current connection in: network tray > edit connections
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

testmy.net was interesting, a more elevated version of speedof.me

I like that it showed comparions with the 'rest of the world'....

my connection is 60% worse than the average 'joe' out there.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I always use

Code: Select all

wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python
for my speed tests, seems pretty consistent & avoids browser overhead slowing things down. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Post by ort »

Sorry I've been so slow responding. Life closes in sometimes.
What a journey I've had thru the different speed test sites. The big take away that I got from it is that they all display different results. If you want to see how fast your connection can be go to site A. If you want to see how slow your connection can be go to site B. And on and on. I found that the "new" speedtest .net site displays results that I have become accustom to seeing over the years. It routinely is showing around 400Mbps which is what I am paying for and what I am used to seeing. It may not be accurate but as long as it is consistent it provides a good benchmark to judge whether the internet is going to be fast or slow today. Thats all I really care about. Thank you for all the responses, it was a nice trip seeing some sites I didn't know existed and I have them all bookmarked. I'm going to mark this solved as I am happy with what was revealed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ort,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

The speedtest client works well from the console terminal prompt as user "BG405" also suggested.

How To Install (2 options) & Use SpeedTest on Ubuntu 16.04 – TheLinuxCode
https://thelinuxcode.com/install-use-sp ... ntu-16-04/

Hope this helps ...
Speedtest.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:32 pm speedof dot me
Urgh! Whoever designed that certainly didn't know anything about human interaction.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Lost 130 Mbps of band width and don't know why. (solved)

Post by all41 »

What I notice:
When internet congestion (cough) is at it's worst, the results vary dramatically among the online tests.
On the other hand the results during the speedy wee hours and mornings are more comparable.

Return to “Networking”