No ethernet on home connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kobinzky

No ethernet on home connection

Post by kobinzky »

Hello!

I apologize in advance for my english, it's not my first language. I'm a total Linux noob, and I installed Linux Mint 8.3 Sylvia three days ago on a HP 620 laptop. I cannot make ethernet work: when I plug the cable, I get the "Connection Established" message, but then I cannot browse and Driver Manager says "Please connect to the Internet".
Strangest thing is I have this problem only on my home connection: ethernet works when I use the connection of a friend of mine.
I'm sure the cable is working (I tried it on another computers) and with other computers my router does work (I have an old 7616 kbps connection; other computers are a Win7, a Win10 and a Linux Xubuntu, never had problems with them; I'm now writing from the Win7). I have not a wifi connection at home, but the laptop can connect to university wireless.
I've extensively searched for a solution online, and the only (temporary) solution I found was adding the line "ethtool -s autoneg off speed 100" to /etc/rc.local. Sadly, it lasted ten minutes, and then ethernet was gone again. I tried to delete the line and add it again, but no luck. It's three days I'm working on it.

Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks,

Kobinzki
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: No ethernet on home connection

Post by Flemur »

Try some of the things suggested here:
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=268658
I never got the ethernet connection working but it's probably because I'd been messing with stuff and/or not running fluxbox in the proper "session" or something....
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kobinzky

Post by kobinzky »

Thank you very much, I'll try!
kobinzky

Post by kobinzky »

I get

Code: Select all

nmcli networking connectivity check
full
which sounds quite strange to me: does it means there is a connection? Why cannot I use it?
I tried

sudo nmcli networking off
sudo nmcli networking on
and

nmcli device disconnect ens5
nmcli device connect ens5
with no luck. Results of "nmcli general permissions" are

PERMISSION                                                 VALUE   
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-network      yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wifi         yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wwan         yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wimax        yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.sleep-wake                  yes      
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control             yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.protected        yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.open             yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system      yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.own         yes     
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.hostname    yes    
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.global-dns  unknown 
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.reload                      yes
Any idea?
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

kobinzky wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:42 am
Strangest thing is I have this problem only on my home connection: ethernet works when I use the connection of a friend of mine.

Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks,

Kobinzki
Here's my thought ....

If the hardware all works on a friends connection (router?), then it's not your computer or cable. I would look to your router, or whatever device you use to connect devices to the internet, for the source of the problem.

If you have a modem and a router, the very first thing I would do is take the router out of the equation by connecting the computer directly to your modem. If that works, then put your router between your modem and computer. If that works - great. If not, then it's your router. At that point, I would be forced to come back here because I know next to nothing about setting up routers - I'm the kind of guy that if the router doesn't work, reboot it. If that doesn't work, look for expert help.

I sure hope that helps some.
kobinzky

Post by kobinzky »

Thank you very much for your answer!
I talked about a router, but I confused terms: I have a modem (a really old "modem DSL modulo base ALICE GATE") and a switch. I already tried to connect directly to the modem, with no luck: as far I can tell, there was no difference...

Return to “Networking”