Internet busted after move to 19, out of ideas... [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Internet busted after move to 19, out of ideas... [SOLVED]

Post by Silent Warrior »

I apologize if I make things more cluttered, but I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.
So, my wired internet went down after updating to Tara... (and booting into it, applying a couple of updates, removing obsolete packages, setting up desktop themes...) I read about the issues with kernel 4.15, so I tried to manually download and install the .debs for kernel 4.13-25, but there was no change. (As proof of my success, uname -r reports "4.13.0-25-generic".) Any recommendations at all, or should I just revert with Timeshift and hold off until November, or something? (November would actually be a good time for it - my birthday's in November.)
I also tried nmcli networking on/off - no luck. I also removed the wired connection setup by Mint and created another one - no change then, either. (IPv4 and 6 set to Automatic. It used to be that activated IPv6 would break my networking, but since that connection configuration seemed to work at first boot-up after the upgrade, I don't know...)

[Edit: The solution was... I have no idea. POSSIBLY installing the 4.13 kernel, and deleting and then recreating my wired connection setup followed by a reboot, but I really have no idea.]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mrmajik45

Re: Internet busted after move to 19, out of ideas...

Post by mrmajik45 »

If you have secureboot enabled (bios) Disable it. It fixed my "wireless" problem so it might fix your "wired" problem
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

My motherboard is too old to have UEFI/SecureBoot. I'll try to look for it the next boot-up, make sure it's duly ban-hammered, but I doubt that'll work...
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Uh- Say WHAT?? ... So, my internet seems to have come back. I can't even...! as they say.
Fair enough. I wish I knew what solved it, though - maybe that new wired connection I set up. I'll leave this topic up for a few days before I mark it as solved, just in case. In summary, everything is back to normal as of this writing.

Return to “Networking”