Installed Julia 10 (32 bit) - fails to see/use wired network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willtco

Installed Julia 10 (32 bit) - fails to see/use wired network

Post by willtco »

Hi,
I have just installed Julia 10 Mint gnome 32 bit etc on an old IBM Thinkcentre. Synaptic manager returns with a whole bunch of errors, and Firefox reports "The connection was reset - The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." - I suspect it's not talking to the wired network. As there seems to be no active connection in 'network connections' 'Auto etho' shows 'last used - never' after several attempts to run firefox. I am fairly new to linux so I'm hoping it's something simple (other than me). - Thanx for reading and double thanx if you can help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Installed Julia 10 (32 bit) - fails to see/use wired network

Post by trytip »

try https://antixlinux.com/ it's well known for using a lot less RAM and should detect your hardware. i can't speak for mint 10 if repos even work. what do you see in iwconfig doing nslookup yahoo.com does it return anything and complete the task?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Linux Mint 10 "Julia" passed the end of its supported life quite a few years ago. You should really not use it in 2018 at all, in particular not, if you intend to access the internet with it.
The list of currently supported Linux Mint systems can be found here: Linux Mint Releases
Depending on your hardware, you may be better off with one of the recommended light-weight Linux distributions, which have been created to be run of outdated hardware as well.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
willtco

Post by willtco »

Thanks for the replies, I was looking for a distro that would fit on a CD as the PC does not have a DVD reader - so it had to be less than 700MB as an ISO. I then did a google for lightweight distros, and the only sub 1GB I could find (after a short search) was this, no mention of it being out of date, I'll start another quest!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Can it boot from USB?

if not I recently discovered this - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD.

It's tiny (58MB for the 18.04 iso) and lets you pick and chose elements (including Desktop Environments) during the install - it needs a net connection to actually download them. I've not properly tested it as yet, but it looks like it should do the job.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the operating system given by trytip is the system that you should try out:
http://antix.mepis.org/
as it is designed for those older machines.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

smurphos wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:53 amCan it boot from USB?
If it can boot from CD, then it can boot from USB using PLOP:

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

I would install several Linux distributions to USB sticks, use PLOP to boot them, and try them out and see what you think.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Networking”