[Solved]Softether VPN setup to emulate Win10

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d8sconz
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Softether VPN setup to emulate Win10

Post by d8sconz »

On win10 I had a desktop icon for SoftEther, and every time I needed a vpn I clicked on it and it opened up a list of servers in different countries I could connect through. Is it possible to set up SoftEther on Mint like this? I've been searching the forum for something that would give me the same simple functionality but the install instructions for linux, while seemingly easy enough, don't result in that list of servers to choose from. I'm sorry to be so vague but that's the limit of my understanding given that on Windows I simply clicked an .exe file and every "accept" that followed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Softether VPN setup to emulate Win10

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have NordVPN, and you can look at a list of their servers, and choose your poison.
Once you use one of those, it shows up as a previous connection in "Connections".

With PureVPN, it is a bit easier, they also give you a drop down menu to select a new location from,
but I just need a couple of different locations and I'm good to go.

Want to put myself into China? don't think so, but they have servers there too.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
d8sconz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Softether VPN setup to emulate Win10

Post by d8sconz »

Thanks. That's basically what I had set up with SoftEther in Windows. I need SoftEther because it's open source and, more importantly, free - I have no way of paying for a vpn.
d8sconz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved]Softether VPN setup to emulate Win10

Post by d8sconz »

It took a while but I've finally found a way to set up SoftEther in a way that presents a list of available servers for you to choose. I'm using vpngate-with-proxy through the instructions on this site, having spent weeks trying to make these instructions work. It was as easy as installing the dependencies and then cloning the repo. The hardest part was getting the desktop launcher to work as follows:

In the launcher properties put,

Code: Select all

gnome-terminal ---working-directory=/path to/vpngate-with-proxy/  -e "./run tui"
...and you're done. The terminal opens and populates with the available servers sorted by score. I haven't bothered to look into what the score criteria are yet, but you can also sort by ping, speed and uptime.

Return to “Networking”