[SOLVED] Static IP in 19 Xfce?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Static IP in 19 Xfce?

Post by wh7qq »

This has probably been asked and answered but I cannot find it if it has...sorry in advance.

I have beaten my head against a wall trying to set a static IP for my Linux Mint 19 installation and I am regretting ever having upgraded from 17.3. Searching here and on the web with google has been fruitless as all the references I can find point to the old, pre-systemd methods and seem not to apply to this new "wonder system" that our betters decided we had to have.

Can anyone please point me at a current fix, or suggest a good way to do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Static IP in 19 Xfce?

Post by rene »

The usual method is keeping the system itself on DHCP but configuring your router to reserve the desired IP for your MAC address.

If you for some reason don't want to do that: just use NetworkManager. Am looking at 18.3 Cinnamon, but shall assume it's the same: Preferences -> Network Connection -> "Wired Connection 1" or alike -> Edit -> IPv4/IPv6 Settings and set desired parameters.
JChristensen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JChristensen »

Right-click the network icon in the panel, then Edit Connections...
Click to select the connection of interest, then the gear icon.
Go to the IPv4 Settings tab, Method drop-down, select Manual, then Add to enter the desired information.
And/or the IPv6 Settings tab if you're using IPv6.

If it were me, I might prefer to set up a static IP in my router, but maybe that's not an option for you.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

You should assign the static IP on the router first. Then configure the computer with the same static IP. Don't forget to reboot. I had to do that with a problematic Atheros WiFi card and it solved all of my connection problems. As much as DHCP should work, go static if you have to.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Re:[SOLVED] Static IP in 19 Xfce?

Post by wh7qq »

Thanks to all, I was able to find the settings in the connection gui. The command line methods are still a mystery to me but I was able to set the static IP.

Normally, I would use the router to make this selection but in this case, I am trying to invoke the Asus router's "rescue mode" in an attempt to install open source firmware and keep it alive for a while longer. In this case, DHCP fails and the connection gets dropped and I can't even get to the router web interface. The router, with a current (as of April) factory upgrade, refuses to accept an "uncertified" upgrade ( bowing to FCC pressure to keep down all that horrid pollution on 2.4G on wifi that can't even penetrate most residential flooring :shock: ). In combination with the Mint switch to the new "Predictable" Network Interface Naming, it made for a very frustrating day yesterday. I would like to understand to whom it is predictable.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Static IP in 19 Xfce?

Post by rene »

wh7qq wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 pm I would like to understand to whom it is predictable.
Those who have read https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... faceNames/ together with https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob ... et_id.c#L3. Clearly this limits us to pretty fundamental nerds but I for example know from

Code: Select all

$ lspci -d ::0200
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5761 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
that my PCI NIC is named enp6s0. Neato.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re:[SOLVED] Static IP in 19 Xfce?

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

wh7qq wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 pmIn this case, DHCP fails and the connection gets dropped and I can't even get to the router web interface.
This is why you should never connect to your router via WiFi. Always use a wired connection. If you can't use a wired connection due to distance from the router, etc., find a way to move them closer to each other. I've made this mistake; never again.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Static IP in 19 Xfce?

Post by wh7qq »

This was always an ethernet connection (wired)...never wifi.

The "Edit Connections" selection that a right click on the connection icon in the panel gets is the answer here. if you then highlight the "wired connection" and click on the little geared wheel at the bottom left, you can change the various parameters. Static vs. DHCP and the fixed IP is chosen in the drop down from "ipv4". There may be an easy way to do that with the cli but since the "change" I have not learned to do that. The "Network Connections" editor can also be reached from Main Menu>Settings>Network Connections and then follow the above.

Return to “Networking”