(Resolved) Router wakes Computer with kernel 4.15.0-30

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

(Resolved) Router wakes Computer with kernel 4.15.0-30

Post by kyphi »

Ever since upgrading from kernel 4.15.0-23 to -24, -29, -30, I have had my router, when first powered on, also start my computer. This results in a number of internet-dependent applications having to be re-set when the Network Manager has to re-establish a connection.

There is no provision in my BIOS (American Megatrends) to circumvent this happening other than wake by keyboard or wake by mouse which are both disabled. Nor is there a setting for wake-on-lan in my router (Fritzbox 7490).

Using the ethtool, wake-on is set to d (disable) as is the setting in Network Connections and these settings are still in place after a reboot.

Although I can easily circumvent this phenomenon by reverting to kernel 4.15.0-23, I am puzzled as to 'why it is so' and would welcome suggestions for a solution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Router wakes Computer with kernel 4.15.0-30

Post by kyphi »

The fault is in /lib/modules/4.15.0-30-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/alx/alx.ko

Development Team is aware and working on a solution.

So, Patience Grasshopper :D
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (Resolved) Router wakes Computer with kernel 4.15.0-30

Post by kyphi »

Posted in case anyone else has experienced this problem.

The automatic wake-on-lan problem continued with kernel 4.15.0-33.

The situation was resolved by fitting a Realtek ethernet adapter card (from my spare parts box), thereby bypassing the motherboard Atheros chip (motherboard Gigabyte Z77-D3H).

Wake-on-lan is now under control.

Once again I can enjoy the security updates provided by newer kernels.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Networking”