'pycharm' is listening

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

'pycharm' is listening

Post by ckonn »

hello,
some time ago i have installed 'pycharm' on my os.
today i noticed that every time when i am online and i run 'pycharm' a java-process is starting and the status of the process is 'LISTEN'
the output from 'lsof -i is':

Code: Select all

java     3345 tony  145u  IPv4 3074919      0t0  TCP localhost:6942 (LISTEN)
java     3345 tony  228u  IPv4 3074934      0t0  TCP localhost:63342 (LISTEN)  
if i 'kill' the process 'pycharm' goes down.
is it possible the pc to be online, to run 'pycharm' and to force it not to open a port simultaneously?

thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: 'pycharm' is listening

Post by catweazel »

ckonn wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:55 pm today i noticed that every time when i am online and i run 'pycharm' a java-process is starting and the status of the process is 'LISTEN'
https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/ ... ree-ports-
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 'pycharm' is listening

Post by rene »

Please note the localhost (i.e., 127.0.0.1) part: PyCharm is only listening on the loopback interface: those ports can only be contacted by software running on the same machine. Not from your LAN and certainly not from the internet.

More specifically 63342 directly serves e.g. HTML projects so that you can easily test them by connecting to PyCharm with a browser and 6942 has something to do with automatically generated project launchers -- I believe. Can't say that I care enough about latter (or former, really) to check in more detail. Certainly there's no security issue, assuming that is what you are afraid of.

Return to “Networking”