pppoe connection activation using GUI?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
melvincv
Level 1
Level 1

pppoe connection activation using GUI?

Post by melvincv »

I cannot see the option to activate the pppoe connection that I created using "Network Connections". There should be a GUI option in the network manager applet, but there isn't... Please tell me if there is a GUI option.
I searched the web for almost an hour and finally came upon nmcli command.

Code: Select all

melvin@melvin-pc ~ $ nmcli connection show 
NAME                UUID                                  TYPE      DEVICE      
Auto MELZ-vivo      5376b20d-2b63-474e-a833-d827ebe2312c  wifi      wlxd46e0e06b
Auto JioFi2_D4B3E0  48daf908-4a8e-4847-95ec-18f5c8f20973  wifi      --          
DOCOMO              31fc4d64-6b60-4e57-894e-293c5577ab32  pppoe     --          
Wired connection 1  0ea7657b-f6d1-348d-8d7f-a90e86fbb950  ethernet  --          
melvin@melvin-pc ~ $ nmcli connection up 31fc4d64-6b60-4e57-894e-293c5577ab32
Connection successfully activated (D-Bus active path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/12)
melvin@melvin-pc ~ $ nmcli connection down 31fc4d64-6b60-4e57-894e-293c5577ab32
Connection 'DOCOMO' successfully deactivated (D-Bus active path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/12)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
erebus_oneiros
Level 1
Level 1

Re: pppoe connection activation using GUI?

Post by erebus_oneiros »

I have the exact same problem. Is this a bug in Mint 19.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, guys.

I cannot really test now on Mint 19.2, because for the past few years I have no longer depended on PPPOE. Got my Fritz! box instead of a dumb DSL modem.
Anyway.
When I still had to use PPPOE, the configuration was done through the terminal command pppoeconf. pppoeconf works like a terminal based interactive configuration application.
Commandline: sudo pppoeconf
Help on pppoeconf: man pppoeconf
HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

You can't activate it in Network Connections, here you only setup a connection as you have done. You (normally) activate it in Network Settings and/or by left-clicking on the icon in the panel. It should be shown above your ethernet an Wi-Fi. There is also the link to Network Settings above Network Connections.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

I have never used Network Manager to set up my PPPoE connection. I only use sudo pppoeconf, which is straightforward.
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
aperten

Post by aperten »

Create new DSL connection, and replace ppp interface name ppp0 => parent interface name.

https://imgur.com/uE34e3N
save, and OK
zmalqp

Post by zmalqp »

this worked on linux mint 19.3 cinnamont
fires3as0n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fires3as0n »

There are drawbacks in using sudo pppoeconf
1. It can edit /etc/network/interfaces. And break your existing Ethernet connections.
2. You will have to use it each time you want to connect to PPPoE.

Here is solution that helped me to set up my connection from GUI.
1. If using sudo pppoeconf broke something - go to /etc/network/interfaces back it up and try to replace it with new file which only contain

Code: Select all

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
And do sudo service network-manager restart
2. Go to "Network connections" from Network manager and add DSL/PPPoE connection from there - this will add PPPoE connection that should work and could be activated from GUI.
3. Go to "Network settings" from Network manager, select "Wired" and then "Add Profile" - this will add standard Ethernet connection. (otherwise it will always try to connect to PPPoE created at step 2)

Now you should have two wired connections that you can switch between depending on if you are directly connected to provider network or using a router.
Image Image

Return to “Networking”