First time, connecting Win 10 and Mint 18: want to read files from Win

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

First time, connecting Win 10 and Mint 18: want to read files from Win

Post by alquimista »

Hi,
I have my desktop running Mint 18 Cinnamon, and a laptop running Win 10. I need to read files from a shared directory I have in Win 10. Following tutorials, I setup to share this directory in Win 10 (named "test"), under "Read" permissions for "Everyone".

Then, in Mint's command prompt, this is the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=WindowsUser //LAPTOP-XXXX/test /home/guillermo/shared
Where "WindowsUser "is the actual Administrator user in Windows, and "LAPTOP-XXXX" is the name of the Win 10 Laptop. "Test" is the directory I created in Win 10

The command seems to be executed correctly; I'm asked for the password . After typing it, I get:
mount error(115): Operation now in progress
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
Checking the log, I get this:
Nov 19 16:56:02 guillermo-Renew kernel: [ 3697.677674] CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
Nov 19 16:56:02 guillermo-Renew kernel: [ 3697.677897] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -115
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: First time, connecting Win 10 and Mint 18: want to read files from Win

Post by altair4 »

First thing I would check is to see if this is a name resolution problem.

Can you ping the machine by that name:

ping -c3 LAPTOP-XXXX
Can you mount the share by ip address - for example:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=WindowsUser //192.168.0.100/test /home/guillermo/shared
Side note: Win10 can now speak mDNS so if this is a name resolution issue you can access it that way LAPTOP-XXXX.local/test but you need to enable that in Win10: Win10, Linux, mDNS, and Samba File Sharing
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Networking”