Why would you want to DISABLE networking

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Why would you want to DISABLE networking

Post by wpshooter »

Network manager has option to disable either networking or wi-fi, depending on device type.

What would be the reason(s) that one would want to have networking or wi-fi disabled,
i.e. For what reason(s) would you want to limit your ability to connect to the Internet ?
I know that if you had applications installed that did not need Internet access (standalone) to run (are
local installations) that you would not need Internet access to run those apps but generally
speaking today without access to the Internet a computer is not of much use to most
(note, I did not say all) users.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Why would you want to DISABLE networking

Post by MrEen »

Some reasons:

1. Using an OS that is no longer supported therefore no updates.

2. Stopping all unneeded services before running extremely taxing software such as editing videos or some CAD software.

3. The machine was purpose built and dosen't require those services such as analyzing data and generating reports.

4. Some feel safer this way. They'll turn it on when they need it.

5. Metered connection. If you're connected, you're sending and receiving data. Might not be much, but it adds up.

Remember also that many (most now?) have more than one internet connected device. Turning those services off just means that specific device can't use them.
redlined

Post by redlined »

I do it from habit formed during windows system managing in the mid-90s military (as a smart user given additional duties, not paid nor trained for) and growing into computing in general in late 90s. first owned system was a PIII/600 in 98, couple months later first virus was a floppy bring home form work... over reacted, then many reformats, reinstalls, and general pc learning led me down privacy, security and encryption paths and perspectives (skewed and biased or not). oh, needless to say, as well as "conspiracy theory" level health and well being considerations (re: wifi radiation and personal info concerns).

my basic stance is- if it doesn't "need" it (as in require, not to be confused with want and desire) then it don't get it. ethernet, wifi, IPv6, admin access (really love Linux approach for SU!) history/log access, etc, etc, ad nauseaum

This gets even more concerning (to me) with the big huge IoT (internet of things) and knowing we live in a society that is learning and profitting in data exchange of personal information, specifically pieces of information I have not consented (fully informed, lol transparency) to giving- well- i'm burning that draft card...
examples?
I share the printer from the pc it is plugged in to (rather than have it add to the wifi radiation), Two laptops stay ethernet plugged in, like the desktop (and me, some days) they need to move nowhere so hard line. One mobile/roaming laptop is on wifi as is the new roommate's. all this for what? well, I feel my hair plugs are holding better, my skin has a healthy(er) glow and my teeth are not as soft as they were 5 yrs ago :mrgreen: ...
I have one computer that has never directly touched the internet, I call it my h(ardened)2k box. For over ten years it has been maintained/updated via vouched-safe media transported from connected computers- it is a tedious process adhered to (and frankly, a rpita! pc is however used weekly) I do not own, nor want, a cell phone (although google voice is a horrible compromise, for now..and I use a garmin device for navigating- folding maps on highways and byways is dangerous!:D)). speaking of which, I drive a 25yo car (near 500k miles:)

ps. do I believe *every* conspiracy theory is true? you bet! as soon as it is said aloud and heard...pffft
(just because i'm paraniod does not mean they are not out to get me! :twisted:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I turn off the 'net when doing installs, because a lot of times, it just screws up the worx.

I want the software to install in its' original state as released, without any updates period.
I will then run that software to make an observation as to whether I want it or not....

I also make a Timeshift Backup of the new install in OEM status condition.....
then if I want to keep it, I turn the 'net ON and allow the new updates to run.
If I don't want it, I run the Timeshift Backup of my PC that I make just prior to that install.
That puts my PC right back where it was before I messed it all up with xyz gobbledegook software.

it is all about your personal preferences, and or needs as explained in the post ^^^^^ above.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:49 am I turn off the 'net when doing installs, because a lot of times, it just screws up the worx.

I want the software to install in its' original state as released, without any updates period.
I will then run that software to make an observation as to whether I want it or not....

I also make a Timeshift Backup of the new install in OEM status condition.....
then if I want to keep it, I turn the 'net ON and allow the new updates to run.
If I don't want it, I run the Timeshift Backup of my PC that I make just prior to that install.
That puts my PC right back where it was before I messed it all up with xyz gobbledegook software.

it is all about your personal preferences, and or needs as explained in the post ^^^^^ above.
Some good points, thanks for all your responses.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Niketathakare88

Post by Niketathakare88 »

it is a good practice to shutdown anything that is not needed in the system.

less risks for different types of attacks and less risks for bugs.

cdp will send out information that gives the attacker an edge such as the version number of the operating system and what port you are on what type of hardware it is and so on.

so it is a goldmine for anyone getting ready to attack your system.

when they know the ios they can findout what bugs it has and so on.

CDP is powerfull when it comes to different things like asking the switches for information and stuffs.

The bad part is that a lot of software/features need cdp to work and disabeling cdp will break those programs.

Return to “Networking”