SSH Into Mint through Ethernet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emulai

SSH Into Mint through Ethernet

Post by emulai »

Hey all,

I am trying to SSH from my Windows 10 laptop into my new Mint 19 installation. Mint is installed on a Mini PC because I need to be able to transfer it from home to the studio and vice versa easily. However, because the studio is owned by a larger corporation I don't have access to the router.

As a result, rather than grab the IP of the Mint installation whenever it is in the studio (no dedicated monitor) I would rather be able to connect my Win 10 laptop to the Mini PC through ethernet and SSH that way. The only instructions I've been able to find for this have been unsuccessful.

I have a decade of software development under my belt, but I'm quite new to Linux in any form. Can anyone help with this problem?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: SSH Into Mint through Ethernet

Post by greerd »

First thing is to check if you have openssh-server installed, I don't think it's installed by default.

Return to “Networking”