How to connect to a Windows network?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

How to connect to a Windows network?

Post by Ham13 »

Hello All,

I just updated my 17.3 system to 19.1. So far the only problem I have is that I can no longer connect to my windows and other 18.3 Mint system on the Windows network. I checked all I can think of as far as firewall and modem settings. The PC running 18.3 does connect to the Windows network. 19.1 connects to the internet OK. If I click on the Windows Network icon, after going to the network, it errors out. The message is "Cannot mount location - no file or directory found". I have looked on the net for a solution but, am now very confused. How can I fix my problem. I'm also going to add a network printer that is connected to the Windows pc. Windows 8.1.

Thanks,
Marty
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to connect to a Windows network?

Post by altair4 »

Mint 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=270442
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ham13 »

Altair4,

Thank you for your response. Edited the smb.conf file then rebooted. No I get "Failure to retrieve share list from server". Sudo service smbd status returns unit smbd. service not found. Still cannot see Windows pc nor can I get by its IP,

Marty
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you can't access the machine by it's ip address you have bigger problems. Sounds like the two machines are not in the same subnet to me. That's a networking problem not a samba problem.

Please post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

smbtree
And can you ping the machine:

ping -c3 ip-address-of-WIn8-machine
If you followed the HowTo you should see your other Linux machines since they don't use "Windows Network".

EDIT: Almost forgot. Turn off your Linux firewall.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ham13 »

OK. I now have firewall problems. I can connect to the network with the firewall disabled, but not with it enabled. The same for a shared printer on the network. I can ping all the boxes on the network. I have applied the rules to allow unwanted to pass samba. No help there. Applied rule network services samba. Firewall is ver 18.04. Seems the problem is on the ln side. In addition I no longer see the Linux boxes on the network window. How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Marty
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I know nothing about Linux firewalls. It's not that I don't think they are necessary it's just how I deploy Linux in my part of the asylum.

You might want to see this post for a possible solution: viewtopic.php?p=1396779#p1396779

As far as the other Linux systems as long as those that are earlier than Mint19 have the avahi registration defined at /etc/avahi/services it should all be automatic. The only thing that can stop it is if avahi-daemon is not running on all your machines or ports 445 and 5353 are closed.
Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ham13 »

Sorry to be so late in responding but had a few fires to put out before I could get back to this one. I've posted the response to testparm and smbtree.

Hope you can spot the problem. I can connect with the firewall off. Then I can tiurn it back on and still access the network. I have allowed the Samba port through the firewall.

Marty

testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
client max protocol = NT1
dns proxy = No
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
map to guest = Bad User
max log size = 1000
netbios name = OFFICE
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
server role = standalone server
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
syslog = 0
unix password sync = Yes
usershare allow guests = Yes
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
browseable = No
comment = All Printers
create mask = 0700
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
martin@martin-RB042AV-ABA-a1410y:~$

martin@martin-RB042AV-ABA-a1410y:~$ smbtree
martin@martin-RB042AV-ABA-a1410y:~$
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Ham13 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:34 pm I can connect to the network with the firewall disabled, but not with it enabled. The same for a shared printer on the network.
Samba is working. The problem appears to be the firewall. I cannot help you with Linux firewall questions.
Ham13 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:46 pm I can connect with the firewall off. Then I can tiurn it back on and still access the network.
Looks like you solved it?
Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ham13 »

No I don’t think so. My 18.04 box works perfectly. I cannot print from 19.1. Print job is sent to my network printer but, nothing prints. Think this all related to samba and possibly the firewall. I will look up how set firewall and samba.

Marty

Return to “Networking”