Sharing external USB device through SAMBA

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1

Sharing external USB device through SAMBA

Post by desertViking »

Hi,

I am on 3.00 (Cassandra). On my "server" system, I have an external USB 200GB drive. When I plug it in, of course it is recognized by Gnome, and mounts it with my ownership.

But, if I do this, I haven't figured out how to share the drive with SAMBA. There seems to be some permission problems when trying to access the problem through the network. I cannot change permissions of the volume while it is mounted.

If I unmount the volume, and mount it as root to a mount point in /mnt, all is well. There are no problems accessing across the network.

So, short of modifying FSTAB and mounting it permanently, is there a way to share an external USB volume, mounted by a user with administrative privileges across a SAMBA network?

Your help would be kindly appreciated.

P.S.
Mods - I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. I deleted it from General announcements, and moved it here. :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

i think it would just be done via poor samba security setup.

eg:
security = share
[usbdisk]
path = /media/usbdisk
guest ok = yes
read only = no
force user = "guest"
force group = "users"
case sensitive = no
force directory mode = 0775
force create mode = 0775

:D