(Solved) My router, which provides DHCP, does not work with Mint.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved) My router, which provides DHCP, does not work with Mint.

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Last year, when I used Windows on my PC, both my PC and phone could access the Internet via Mini Router HX701: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32469326178.html
Now I use Mint on my PC. My phone can still access the Internet via the router, but Mint cannot. Mint can access the Internet only when my PC is directly connected to the modem. Is it possible to make the router work with Mint?

Code: Select all

matthew@pc:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: pc Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.8 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: H81M-DS2 v: x.x serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: F2 date: 08/06/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4130 (-MT-MCP-) 
           arch: Haswell rev.3 cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 13568
           clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 1519 MHz 2: 1720 MHz 3: 1418 MHz
           4: 1846 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4th Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 507.9GB (22.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3500418AS size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdc model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 7.7GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 96G used: 59G (65%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3648 fan-1: 1073 fan-3: 0 fan-4: 0 fan-5: 0
Info:      Processes: 234 Uptime: 9:01 Memory: 1221.9/3845.4MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Re: My router does not work with Mint.

Post by HAWR »

Hello Matthew_Wal,

there is no wifi card shown in your terminal output, but I think, you won't ask if there is one. It is shown, that you use LM 19 Tara, so maybe it could be better first to update to LM 19.1 in the update manager and then after that to update the kernel from 4.15.0-20 (install version) to the recent version 4.15.0-54 for better hardware support (also in the update manager under view > linux kernel. A short description of kernel updates can be found in help). With that updates you can create a new terminal-output of hardware.

How do you connect your computer: wiht a wifi-PCI-Card or with an USB-Adapter? You could show the output of

lspci
and

lsusb
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Mint 19.1 did not work fine with my VirtualBox. See viewtopic.php?f=231&t=284765
My motherboard has no WiFi and can be physically connected to the router.
My PC can access the Internet via an onboard LAN or a USB LAN. Both are Realtek.

matthew@pc:~$ lspci| grep "Realtek" & lsusb| grep "Realtek"
[1] 3735
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0bda:8152 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
[1]+  Done                    lspci | grep --color=auto "Realtek"
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Okay, I think I have it now. You don't want a wireless wifi connection with your Mini Router but a wired connection through your Realtek USB-LAN-Adapter which isn't working by now. Is that right?

I remember a case where a Realtek device was recognized only by its ID, without any other designations such as manufacturer, product name, etc... Therefore I ask you to show the output of the lsusb-command without restrictions to see, if it could be the same for you. By using the ID and additionally the descriptions on the adapter itself we can determine the required and probably missing driver. If the lsusb output doesn't show such a result, you should try other USB slots first. Maybe it's a problem with that slot.

Even if you don't want to update to 19.1, it would make sense to update to the latest kernel to get better hardware support.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

HAWR wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 amYou don't want a wireless wifi connection with your Mini Router but a wired connection through your Realtek USB-LAN-Adapter which isn't working by now. Is that right?
Let me clear things up:

1. My Mint can access the Internet via the onboard LAN adapter.
2. My Mint can access the Internet via the USB LAN adapter.
3. My Mint CANNOT access the Internet via the router.
4. My phone can access the Internet via the router.
5. I am now using Windows PE on my PC, which can access the Internet via the router.

Windows PE shows the connection as DHCP. Does Mint support DHCP? How can I use DHCP on Mint? I want Mint to use the wired connection provided by the router.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Re: My router, which provides DHCP, does not work with Mint.

Post by HAWR »

Okay, let me give a second try :D

You have a main router/modem connected to the internet. Then you have your Mini Router (functional as an AP), which is connected to the main router by cable. This connection works because with your phone you have (wireless) internet-access trough the Mini Router (SSID and password). You have connected your computer to the Mini Router by cable, but you can't get internet access by now as you got it last year with Windows. Is that description right? I hope so.
Does Mint support DHCP? How can I use DHCP on Mint?
The answer is yes. The default settings for internet connections (wired and wireless) is automatically DHCP (IPv4). Your Mini Router has 1 LAN- and 1 WAN-slot. Through which slot comes the connection from the main router/modem? Because you want to use a wired connection to your computer, it should be the WAN-Slot. The LAN-slot is needed for the connection to you computer. It's nearly the same situation I have. I got my internet through an AP of a greater network, both as wlan and via cable, where the wired connections is realized by means of powerline adapters/DLAN.

When your computer is connected with the Mini Router, can you see a wired ethernet connection in the network settings? Sometimes it has to be setup manually to get it working.

Nevertheless there is still the question, why your Realtek USB LAN adapter is not displayed in the output. It is still possible that the correct driver needs to be installed, and for that you need to know which chipset is used (or maybe it is supported by the latest kernel, I recommended to install)
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Mint is now running on my PC, directly connected to the modem mentioned below via a cable. I can access the Internet.
HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am Is that description right?
That is right. Two more things:
1. The main device connected to the Internet is “D-Link SE-301 Ethernet-VDSL Bridge”, which I suppose is a modem.
2. When my PC is connected to the Mini Router (instead of the modem) via a cable, as long as Windows PE (instead of Mint) is running, my PC can access the Internet.
HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am your Mini Router (functional as an AP)
I don’t know what an AP is.
HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am Your Mini Router has 1 LAN- and 1 WAN-slot. Through which slot comes the connection from the main router/modem?
LAN and WAN are connected to the PC and modem respectively. WAN receives PPPoE connection from the modem, and LAN gives DHCP connection to the PC.
HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am your Realtek USB LAN adapter is not displayed in the output
It is well supported by my current Kernel 4.15.0-20 and displayed below.

matthew@pc:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 154b:6101 PNY 
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 18c3:6255  
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0bda:8152 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 05e3:0745 Genesys Logic, Inc. Logilink CR0012
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 1267:0701 Logic3 / SpectraVideo plc 
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0951:1665 Kingston Technology Digital DataTraveler SE9 64GB
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am When your computer is connected with the Mini Router, can you see a wired ethernet connection in the network settings?
I will try it out tomorrow. I am going to bed.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello Matthew_Wai,

when you go to the link of your Mini Router and look at the image with the box, you can read: Mini wireless router AP Mode. AP is the short form for Access Point. Access Points are router or router-like devices, connected to a main router/modem by cable, which normally provide wireless access to the internet for other devices (clients) like phones, notebooks etc. (very short description). In your (and my) case it can be used by cable, too.

Because it's been a while for me, I read a bit about access points and think I have the solution. You must disable DHCP on your Mini Router, otherwise it tries to assign an IP to your computer itself, although your main router/modem is already the DHCP server in your little network. Therefore, the Internet connection works if you are connected to the modem, but not via the Mini Router. I hope it solves your problem and you had have a good night :)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

sudo apt-get install r8168-dkms
will remove the r8169 mod from kernel and replace with r8168 mod ,which is the one you need. That should allow your ethernet to work.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Bingo! I am now using Mint, which can access the Internet via the router.
My PC and phone can now access the Internet concurrently via the router.
I have just taken two simple steps:
1. Change iface enp2s0 inet manual to iface enp2s0 inet dhcp in /etc/network/interfaces as per this tutorial.
2. Run sudo systemctl restart networking.

Can anyone explain the difference between manual and dhcp after iface enp2s0 inet?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Manual means you enter the IP address you were assigned and usually locked to by administrator of a router, such as in a business setting. At home you just want to take the DHCP dynamically assigned IP (Internet Protocol) address provided by the host server or router.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:13 amManual means you enter the IP address you were assigned
I have never manually entered an IP address since I replaced Windows with Mint.
Actually, I don't know how to do so.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Then stick with DHCP, instead of a static IP. The latter is however better when setting up a network printer.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Before replacing manual with dhcp, Mint could not access the router's settings page via this address http://192.168.0.1/. Now Mint can access it. Do routers generally output DHCP via the LAN port? Are routers generally accessed via DHCP?
HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:29 pmYou must disable DHCP on your Mini Router
There is no way to disable it.
HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am When your computer is connected with the Mini Router, can you see a wired ethernet connection in the network settings?
On the system tray, I clicked on the connection icon-->Connection Information, which shows the following:
No valid active connections found.jpg

Connection is definitely available via the router at this moment.
Last edited by Matthew_Wai on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (Solved) My router, which provides DHCP, does not work with Mint.

Post by HAWR »

Hello Matthew_Wai,

I'm glad it works now. I don't know the way of Spearmint2 and your tutorial website. I can only explain, how it works here for me. The AP, which provides the internet access for me, has a static IP and DHCP is disabled in the configuration menu of the AP. The IP address of the main router is also entered as the gateway.
The network DHCP range is defined between xxx.xxx.x.100 - 200 and the static IP address is outside the DHCP range. For example, my main router has the IP 192.168.1.1 and the AP has the static IP 192.168.1.71. My Computer (and my and other mobile phones, too) get a dynamically IP-address from the main router in the range from 100-200, which varies each time the devices logged into the network.
Unfortunately I haven't found a manual of your Mini Router HX701. The routers I know have all the possibility to do so. Maybe you know a website where the manual of your router can be found?

When I left-click on the internet symbol in the right bottom of the panel (the two cables), I see, that the wired (or wireless) connection is on and below I can choose between a) search for wireless networks, b) network settings and c) network connections, while b) and c) open a new window, where I can select the respective connection and have the possibility to configure it. I don't know, why you get this message, maybe Spearmint2 does?

But if you satisfied with the solution you have found, then all is okay. :)
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

HAWR wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 amMaybe you know a website where the manual of your router can be found?
Google found http://upload.sunsky-online.com/res/dri ... -0787A.pdf
athi

Post by athi »

HAWR wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 am Hello Matthew_Wai,

I'm glad it works now. I don't know the way of Spearmint2 and your tutorial website. I can only explain, how it works here for me. The AP, which provides the internet access for me, has a static IP and DHCP is disabled in the configuration menu of the AP. The IP address of the main router is also entered as the gateway.
The network DHCP range is defined between xxx.xxx.x.100 - 200 and the static IP address is outside the DHCP range. For example, my main router has the IP 192.168.1.1 and the AP has the static IP 192.168.1.71. My Computer (and my and other mobile phones, too) get a dynamically IP-address from the main router in the range from 100-200, which varies each time the devices logged into the network.
Unfortunately I haven't found a manual of your Mini Router HX701. The routers I know have all the possibility to do so. Maybe you know a website where the manual of your router can be found?

When I left-click on the internet symbol in the right bottom of the panel (the two cables), I see, that the wired (or wireless) connection is on and below I can choose between a) search for wireless networks, b) network settings and c) network connections, while b) and c) open a new window, where I can select the respective connection and have the possibility to configure it. I don't know, why you get this message, maybe Spearmint2 does?

But if you satisfied with the solution you have found, then all is okay. :)
Link to user manual for Mini Router http://www.accessionx.com/download/docu ... manual.pdf

Generally, Access Point mode is used with DHCP server disabled so retail router/AP are setup this way in AP mode.

With Mint, each time you connect to a wifi network, the Network Manager will generate a profile for the connection to store connection informations (password, DHCP/Static etc.). Many routers now are dual bands with each band allowing its own connection, so 2 profiles if you logged into both bands. The default for the profile is to automatically connect to the wifi if present, so this could cause confusion if you have more than 1 wifi connection available. I generally disable auto connect for all but the my primary wifi connection (for that location) and would manually log on to the other wifi connections as needed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Do routers generally output DHCP via the LAN port? Are routers generally accessed via DHCP?
Yes on first question, but also for wireless access too, which answers the second question of how routers are usually accessed, by both methods. You get assigned an IP (internet protocol) address, such as 192.168.1.50 or higher level like one beginning with a "10".

When an AP (access point) is set up, it doesn't assign the IP address to your device, but just gives you access to the router behind it which the AP is connected to also. The AP job is to extend the internet signal for "access" to a more distant area the DHCP assigning router could not otherwise reach. Most AP are to extend wireless access to areas outside the wireless signal of the controlling router.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-dhcp-2625848

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

https://www.lifewire.com/using-static-i ... ter-818404
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

HAWR wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 amI don't know the way of [...] your tutorial website.
Routers are accessed via DHCP, so dhcp must be present in /etc/network/interfaces. That is how I understand it. Does dhcp exist in your "interfaces" file? Before disabling DHCP, could you access your router without dhcp in "interfaces"?
I am not using that one.
athi wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:13 amthe Network Manager will generate a profile for the connection to store connection informations (password, DHCP/Static etc.).
My router, onboard LAN, and USB LAN can connect Mint to the Internet without Network Manager, which I have simply disabled. I have never used it to set up a connection. I use Terminal instead.
Thanks for the links!
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

HAWR wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 amI'm glad it works now.
Unfortunately, it has just caused a boot failure. For detail, see viewtopic.php?f=46&t=298270
Is there a way to fix the failure without undoing the change made to /etc/network/interfaces?
Without the change, my router does not work with Mint.

Return to “Networking”