Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet after install?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perdomot
Level 3
Level 3

Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet after install?

Post by perdomot »

Noticed that on my new B550 mobo, most distros lack a driver for the faster ethernet out of the box and you have to connect via wifi. Wanted to ask if AFTER the install, there are drivers available for the wired connection or if you are stuck on wifi? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eraxillan

Re: Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet after install?

Post by eraxillan »

Well, any progress on this network card in Linux Mint?
Also got B550-based motherboard and was very suprised by non-working Ethernet Intel network card.
I can understand if it will be Broadcom, but Intel :(

Probably one should use some new kernel or something?
I've already installed Mint 20 with latest updates.
A13X
Level 1
Level 1

Post by A13X »

Support for the I225 drivers is included in the Linux 5.8 kernel. I want to use Linux Mint faster.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

perdomot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:29 pm Noticed that on my new B550 mobo, most distros lack a driver for the faster ethernet out of the box and you have to connect via wifi. Wanted to ask if AFTER the install, there are drivers available for the wired connection or if you are stuck on wifi?
Available yes, although I haven't checked to see how easy it is to install it; on Linux the norm is drivers integrated with the kernel proper so installing them manually can/could supposedly be non newbie-friendly:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... ler-I225-V

Same for 2.5G adapters from Realtek which may be more common for now as per

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software

At least that one seemed easy to install from a recent post on the forum concerning this issue.
A13X
Level 1
Level 1

Post by A13X »

rene wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 am
perdomot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:29 pm Noticed that on my new B550 mobo, most distros lack a driver for the faster ethernet out of the box and you have to connect via wifi. Wanted to ask if AFTER the install, there are drivers available for the wired connection or if you are stuck on wifi?
Available yes, although I haven't checked to see how easy it is to install it; on Linux the norm is drivers integrated with the kernel proper so installing them manually can/could supposedly be non newbie-friendly:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... ler-I225-V

Same for 2.5G adapters from Realtek which may be more common for now as per

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software

At least that one seemed easy to install from a recent post on the forum concerning this issue.
I thought so too, but it turned out to be more difficult. Added on kernel version 5.4.0-26, but it didn't work on kernel version 5.4.0-42. The addition was successful, but the connection was not created.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

It is expected that you will on every kernel upgrade have to reinstall external drivers (if the driver is not "DKMS-ed"), so, yes, if that is what you are saying.
bugeyedalien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bugeyedalien »

Is it working now ?? :-D

Greets !

Return to “Networking”