Occasional 'no internet connection' error but the connection is fine.[Resolved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Occasional 'no internet connection' error but the connection is fine.[Resolved]

Post by Kester »

Hi,

This is no big issue but a minor irritation and a mystery - Occasionally I get an error message to say that I have no internet connection although, when I check, the connection is fine. This happens on both my desktop computers (both run LM20.1 although the issue also occurred before I upgraded from LM20). The message closes quite quickly. Both systems are connected to the router/modem via ethernet cables and WIFI is disabled.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Occasional 'no internet connection' error but the connection is fine.

Post by sleeper12 »

Hard to say, but have you tried shutting everything down, then restart router/modem & machine?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I get that occasionally because I have access to two network ports (one via USB which is on a hub that I use to extend my keyboard/mouse) If I forget to disable the USB network driver, I get regular pop ups telling me that my network has disconnected although I am still using it,
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kester »

Hi sleeper12 and lsemmens,

Thanks for your replies. I've not shut down the router/modem but restarting the computer gives the normal situation with the connection in operation as normal but, as I have said, when the error appears, it closes quite quickly. The error mainly appears after the computer has gone into standby mode after being left awhile and the desktop then reactivated but not every time and not solely in that situation.

I suppose it could be something at my ISP's end or possibly weather related as the connection to my house is via overhead copper cable.

It causes me no real problems so perhaps it would be as well to put up with it unless it gets significantly worse.

Cheers.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Well, the router/modem should be restarted now & then anyway. So, you should try that just to eliminate it as a possible cause.
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kester »

Hi sleeper12,

Thanks for your advice. I will do that. I'll mark this as 'Resolved'
jko
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Occasional 'no internet connection' error but the connection is fine.[Resolved]

Post by jko »

Check your cables and connectors. I had a similar issue, and it was a bad cable [connector].
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Occasional 'no internet connection' error but the connection is fine.[Resolved]

Post by Kester »

Hi jko,

Good suggestion - something easily missed. Doesn't appear to be a problem there though.

@sleeper12: I switched the two systems off as usual at the end of my sessions last night and then disconnected the router/modem from the mains. I left it for a minute two before before reconnecting. Presumably that will have cleared clutter build-up without doing a full reset and losing my settings. There has been no issue today - everything started up fine when I first switched on.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Ok, give it some time, but maybe that helped.

Return to “Networking”