NordVPN setup but wont connect??

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
haeffnkr
Level 1
Level 1

NordVPN setup but wont connect??

Post by haeffnkr »

Hi,
I am setting up the vpn client using these instructions.
https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivit ... anager.htm

I import the config file, I put in my user name and pw, I save it. It saves and I enable the vpn connection but I am not connected to the internet.

I installed the terminal line package and it connect to nordvpn fine, I want to use the gui though.

How do I troubleshoot this? thanks in advance.

thanks haeffnkr

EDIT .... network manager shows I am connected but it does not connect to the internet.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: NordVPN setup but wont connect??

Post by Moonstone Man »

haeffnkr wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:23 pm ... NordVPN ...
First, you are paying them for support so they should be your first place to talk about the issue.

Second, Nord provide downloadable .ovpn files that can be imported into the network manager, which means you don't need their client at all. The problem is though, Nord have a very wonky way, and I'm being very kind there, of selecting servers. There is no way for a user to select one and only one consistently fast connection point. Nord load up their machines to the max before selecting one that is less congested, so one minute your connection is fine but rotten the next, which means you can't really use Nord without using their client, even though they provide .ovpn files. Their service, in my opinion, was so bad that I cancelled my subscription and took my business elsewhere.

If you need evidence of what I'm saying about them, go to their website and choose the fastest server, for which you need to download the .ovpn file and import it into network manager. Next, go back ten minutes later and you'll get a different server, rinse, repeat.

I know that's not at all helpful, but really, you should take your questions to them.
MoreLinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MoreLinux »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 am
Second, Nord provide downloadable .ovpn files that can be imported into the network manager, which means you don't need their client at all. The problem is though, Nord have a very wonky way, and I'm being very kind there, of selecting servers. There is no way for a user to select one and only one consistently fast connection point. Nord load up their machines to the max before selecting one that is less congested.
Also a NordVPN user, and don't have these problems. So it might not be NordVPN.

@haeffnkr:
I use the command-line like:
- nordvpn login
- nordvpn connect The_Americas
- nordvpn set dns 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1
- nordvpn set protocol udp
- nordvpn set killswitch on

A stable and fast connection all the time. In the beginning I didn't use the udp protocol, which gave me a much slower connection. I don't connect to a fixed server, only a fixed region.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

I have been a NordVPN client for nearly 3 years. I occasionally have problems (of my own making like trying to configure other computers!). In all cases you need to go to their help desk. It is one of the best help-desks that I have encountered.
They will guide you to a completely different set of instructions than what you posted. Follow that. It is all done in the terminal. Once it is done configure using your email address and password which only needs to be done once.

When going on the net go to the terminal and use 'nordvpn c' (that will get you to your country which defeats the purpose then add initials of your chosen country) for instance; 'nordvpn c uk'.

Mint must have an arrangement with Nord because updates appear occasionally in the daily updates. Do not assume that this replaces the initial setup.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Oh, and by the way, In over 2 years, I have not had the problems that Kadaitcha Man nor MoreLinux have experienced.
But then I followed Nord's instructions TO THE LETTER. Only 2 days ago did I experience an 'outage' for the first time and I'm unsure whether it was Nord, my ISP or the international carrier. I am on the net for several hours per day.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

I wrote a quick guide here to setting up Nord through the Network Manager:
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=319926

If you set up a few then it is easy to switch between them - but it might be best to switch the vpn off using the switch in the Network Manager before switching to a new server.
MoreLinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MoreLinux »

Peter Linu wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:30 am Oh, and by the way, In over 2 years, I have not had the problems that Kadaitcha Man nor MoreLinux have experienced.
I didn't have any problems. The UDP was a setting I changed to get a even better connection.
Peter Linu wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:30 am But then I followed Nord's instructions TO THE LETTER. Only 2 days ago did I experience an 'outage' for the first time and I'm unsure whether it was Nord, my ISP or the international carrier. I am on the net for several hours per day.
Followed their instructions as well, and then it just worked.

Return to “Networking”