[SOLVED] "Unable to mount location" error message

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vladi99
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] "Unable to mount location" error message

Post by vladi99 »

Hello everybody,

I upgraded my Linux Mint installation from 19.1 to 20.1 and I lost connection to WDTVLiveHub which is connected to the home network.

I can still see the icon of WDTVLiveHub (looks like a folder) under Network tab, but when I try to open it, I see "Unable to mount location" error message; it also says "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Software caused connection abort". The other folder located next to it, "Windows Network", can be opened but contains nothing. I tried to look into network setting, but did not find anything useful. Quick search for the solution of my problem on this forum was not very successful either.

Interestingly, with the previous version of Mint (19.1) I could open the folder called WDTVLiveHub and do all necessary operations with the files located in the WDTVLiveHub internal hard drive. When I boot from Mint 19.1 boot media, I still have access to WDTVLiveHub hard drive as before.

Could you please suggest a solution to this issue ?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: "Unable to mount location" error message

Post by AndyMH »

Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
vladi99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vladi99 »

Thank you AndyMH,

It does seem to be relevant; first I tried approach [1a] and [2a] by editing smb.conf file, but could not save the modified file at the end. Any suggestions here ?

Also tried entering the address in file browser like suggested in [1b]:
>smb://hostname.local/share-name
using "S20" (my machine name returned by hostname command) as a hostname, and "wdtvlivehub" (the network resource I am trying to access) as share-name, also unsuccessfully.
>smb://S20.local/wdtvlivehub
>smb://wdtvlivehub.local/wdtvlivehub => works on Mint 19.1, not on 20.1

Finally, I was looking into manual mounting command such as suggested in [1c] and [2b]:
>sudo mount -t cifs -o guest,uid=1000 //hostname.local/share-name /mount-point
>sudo mount -t cifs -o guest,uid=1000,vers=1.0,sec=ntlm //hostname.local/share-name /mount-point

Could you or anyone else explain me what the proper parameters to use in this command and how to find them
(for example: hostname.local = S20.local; share-name = wdtvlivehub; mount point = ???)

By the way, the WDTVLiveHub is controlled by TwonkyMedia server, which is probably based on Linux, so it is surprising why two Linux computers refuse to communicate ...

Thanks again !
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

It does seem to be relevant; first I tried approach [1a] and [2a] by editing smb.conf file, but could not save the modified file at the end. Any suggestions here ?
Needs root privileges, navigate to /etc in your file manager, right click and 'open as root', then navigate to /etc/samba and double click on smb.conf to edit.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
vladi99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vladi99 »

Thank you very much AndyNH, it worked !!!

I knew that I needed root privileges, but could not find the way to invoke them; you advice was very helpful. Shame on me, I use right click on Windows machines very often to get a context menu, but somehow it did not occur to me to try it with Linux.

Just want to repeat to anyone who might be reading this, I followed [1a] approach which says:

[1a] You could override the default setting of Samba and reinstate SMB1 ( Samba calls it NT1 ) on all your Linux machines.
Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line add these:
client min protocol = NT1
server min protocol = NT1
Then reboot your box.

Thank you very much again for your help, much appreciated !
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thank altair4, he's our samba expert :)
vladi99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vladi99 »

Thank you, o altair4, let the brightness of your star will never diminish!

But seriously, I am sincerely grateful to all forum members who is helping people like me.

Return to “Networking”