[Solved] Linux Mint 20.1 Ethernet connection issues

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 Ethernet connection issues

Post by blueicetwice »

Code: Select all

lspci -v
will find the drivers.

Kernel driver in use: r8168
Kernel modules: r8169, r8168

Here is an interesting thread which is about three years old.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175641982/

If one needs the driver, then link to this :arrow: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software

Several reviews I read are not to pleased with the performance of Realteck, especially mamaboard based products. The suggestions are that add on cards are superior in many ways, especially Intel network cards.

If I ever build a fourth rig, it will certainly include a network card, irregardless of the quality of the mamboard.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

Code: Select all

drms status

This will confine whether or not the proper driver has been installed.
One can also check the files = /usr/src or /var/lib/dkms/r8168

In my case, both showed the present of the correctoe driver. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

I have decided against setting up a static IP address, after reading the following article.

:arrow: :arrow: https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-stat ... ss-2626012
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

blueicetwice wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pmI have decided against setting up a static IP address, after reading the following article.
The article is pretty confusing because it mixes up two different aspects - your ISP's external IP, and your private local IPs, and we're only dealing with the latter here. The relevant quote of the article is this:
Some routers reserve an IP address for specific devices that are connected to a network. This is normally done through DHCP Reservation, and it works by associating an IP address with a MAC address so that each time that specific device requests an IP address, the router assigns it the one you chose to associate with that physical MAC address.You can read more about using DHCP Reservation at your router manufacturer's website.
If you do it this way, you won't have that problem (article quote):
If a device is assigned an IP address of, for example, 192.168.1.110, and you go to a different network that gives out 10.X.X.X addresses, you won't be able to connect with the static IP.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

DPM, thank you for your comments. :D The network is setup for DHCP Reservation but since I can not log into the router I am not sure how it is set. As an old 10+ years [Actiontec C1000A], DHCP Reservation may not be available. This weekend, I will reset the router and install new passwords; as well as a firmware updates and DHCP Reservation, is possible.

These procedors are quite complex and above my pay grade. [e-4] DPM, thanks for the guidance. Lots and lots of interesting reading.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

blueicetwice wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 amAs an old 10+ years [Actiontec C1000A], DHCP Reservation may not be available.
Shouldn't be a problem - even the 10 year old cheap Netgear router that I decommissioned last year had that. It's just clicking around a bit in the router's admin interface and finding out where they hid that feature. :D
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

DPM wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 pm
blueicetwice wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 amAs an old 10+ years [Actiontec C1000A], DHCP Reservation may not be available.
Shouldn't be a problem - even the 10 year old cheap Netgear router that I decommissioned last year had that. It's just clicking around a bit in the router's admin interface and finding out where they hid that feature. :D
[/quote

DPM, that is reassuring to hear. In last two days, I have been switching between Mint and Manjaro and each time there is no network.

I have in past and currently, turn off the Ethernet and back on and then the OS connects to the Internet. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I am not sure what is the cause of this but it could be a software issue. I hoping, however, this is a router setting problem. :!:

If our old router ever passes away, I plan to purchase a better quality unit. [$200+]
m00tpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m00tpoint »

I too am "blessed" with a Realtek NIC on my laptop. No matter what I connect it to running LInux, it won't connect at 1 Gig, and has had sporadic connection issues even at 100M. After hitting google for a while I quickly decided not to fight the inevitable and bought a Linux-friendly USB dongle, which is working nicely.

And it's not Linux's fault. Realtek releases closed-source drivers, so the community can't fix much of anything about the problems.

m00tpoint
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

m00tpoint wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:52 am I too am "blessed" with a Realtek NIC on my laptop. No matter what I connect it to running LInux, it won't connect at 1 Gig, and has had sporadic connection issues even at 100M. After hitting google for a while I quickly decided not to fight the inevitable and bought a Linux-friendly USB dongle, which is working nicely.

And it's not Linux's fault. Realtek releases closed-source drivers, so the community can't fix much of anything about the problems.

m00tpoint

M00tpoint, very interesting comments. DPM, I went into the router and checked the software and Actiontec has the DHCP Reservation set on in default. I added MAC AUTHENTICATION and screwed up the router and had to reset it. I appear not to have any serious network connection issues, however, if I do again, I will get the Intel add on card and see if that helfs.

m00tpoint is probably correct, that Realtec drivers do not work well with Linux. :x :x
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint 20.1 Ethernet connection issues

Post by blueicetwice »

I just downloaded an update for the Realtec driver :!: :!: :!: :!:

I am hoping this ends the long running network nightmare with Linux. :cry:

This morning each time the rig went into sleep, I could not restore the Network
and had no Internet. This was not the case with Manjaro nor Solus.

I got an email for billy mircogates, suggesting I divorce myself from Ms Mint.
Last edited by blueicetwice on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

blueicetwice wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:33 pmm00tpoint is probably correct, that Realtec drivers do not work well with Linux.
You could buy a PCIe network card with an Intel chip and disable the onboard network controller in the bios.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

DPM, in the past five days I have had smooth sailing. :mrgreen: But I will keep dat option open if problems redevelop. :shock: Hopeful, the patch for the Realtek driver fixed this very,very long ongoing bug.

Tanks for all of your helf. :!:
Last edited by blueicetwice on Sat May 29, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

Now, I am having issue again after rig goes into sleep mode. In order to get the network to work,
I must reboot the PC. :? :x :oops:

DPM, I checked my BIOS and I have no way to disable the onboard network controller.

I am going to use Manjaro and Solus and see if they are free of this problem.

This issue is not acceptable.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

After a week of Manjaroing, I had no network issue :!: :mrgreen:

Tried Solus and had to turn network off and on to obtain the Internet.

Now for a week of Mint 20.1; with the hope this lingering problem is resolved.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

After Minting for seven days [IPS was down for nearly two days; Century Linky]
the OS worked with a single incident. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Now this
is what I have been waiting for nearly twelve months :!: :!:
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

blueicetwice wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:07 pm After Minting for seven days [IPS was down for nearly two days; Century Linky]
the OS worked with a single incident. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Now this
is what I have been waiting for nearly twelve months :!: :!:
So what did you determine was the problem? You talked like you're back on Mint using it for seven days and I thinking you meant to say " without" instead of " with " a single incident since you didn't mention the incident.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] Linux Mint 20.1 Ethernet connection issues

Post by blueicetwice »

Herr Motoryzen, yes, you are correctoe; I mis-grammared. I can not say for sure, however, with Minty it was either a bad driver or software or both. There was less issues with both Manjaro and Solus. I have read several threads claiming issues with Intel network cards as well. In the main, I believe the Realtech driver was more than likely the originator of the failing to connect to the network

EDIT: Should an update break your network, reboot and hopefully that will be a simple fix.

The inquisition is finished.

Return to “Networking”