NFS vs Samba

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

NFS vs Samba

Post by Christof999 »

Hello,

I am STILL trying to get Mint networking to work. Its extremely frustrating. I see only the host computer itself, none of the others!

Anyways. What should I be using, Samba or NFS ? I run no windows machines at all. I do play the odd network game. My prime concerns are. The ability to mount as a local directory. Security from hackers in the outside world. My network is a bit of a target, and I want to make sure no wackos can get into it. And ease of use. Thus far I cant get it working at all. I click on sharing in the directory properties and nothing comes up. I go o the Kontrol center and click on the networking options, they do nothing. I don;t even see the menu.

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

According to people who knows Samba is a piece of sh-t
and if you don't have windows involved at all I would recommend NFS which is indigenous to Linux
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

Husse wrote:According to people who knows Samba is a piece of sh-t
and if you don't have windows involved at all I would recommend NFS which is indigenous to Linux
Thanks.

Which packges are needed for NFS, and how do I configure it ?

Im used to editing smb.conf or using the samba configuration tool under KDE. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
C.
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

Christof999 wrote:
Husse wrote:According to people who knows Samba is a piece of sh-t
Thanks.

Which packges are needed for NFS, and how do I configure it ?

Im used to editing smb.conf or using the samba configuration tool under KDE. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
C.
Never mind Ive educated myself on NFS. I just wish there was a GUI for config, as opposed to exports.

However whenever I try to mount a share I get the message

RPC: Timed out.

I think it has something to do with the clients trying to acess the wrong port.. Im not sure how to fix this.

Thanks
C.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I found out that portmap/sunrpc, and nfsd use the same port all the time but the others (mountd, lockd, statd, and possibly rquotad) use random ports, by default, so this may be the cause
You must have portmap running
and here is a long informative thread from the ubuntu forums (only read parts)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=477695
It's mentioned several times that googling gives inconsistent results....
Hope this makes some sense, it's not my specialty :)

Return to “Networking”