Have to disconnect/reconnect to get on Internet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curt_grymala

Have to disconnect/reconnect to get on Internet

Post by curt_grymala »

I recently upgraded (using the command line instructions for the upgrade path) from Mint 7 to Mint 8. Everything went pretty well, but I have run into two issues; one kind of big and one rather minor. I'm not sure if they're related to each other or not, but I though I'd post about them here, since my networking issue is the one I consider kind of big.

1) I have my Mint installation set up so that it automatically logs into my profile. This worked fine in Mint 7, with all of my services starting up properly, etc. However, in Mint 8, when I start up my computer, the Network Manger indicates that it's connected to "Auth eth0" but I can't access the Internet. If I click the Network Manager and tell it to reconnect to Auth eth0, everything starts working fine once it's reconnected. Any ideas why it's not connecting properly when I first login?
2) When I try to restart my computer, it tells me that "System policy prevents restarting when other users are logged in." I'm automatically logging in, and there shouldn't be any other users logged in. Any idea why it's telling me this?

I'm happy to provide more information if you guys tell me what you might need. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Have to disconnect/reconnect to get on Internet

Post by remoulder »

There were changes in the security modules in karmic/helena. When you use automatic login, services that require authentication no longer work until you have re-authenticated. In short disable automatic login if you want things to work. This is not a bug it was designed this way.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
curt_grymala

Re: Have to disconnect/reconnect to get on Internet

Post by curt_grymala »

Ok. I guess that explains it. Thanks for the update.

Return to “Networking”