Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

port forwarding

Post by calumc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:55 pm

ive searched about for solutions to this and cant get anything to work.
im trying to forward TCP port 51098 to my router at 192.168.1.254.

Can anyone help?

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: port forwarding

Post by scorp123 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:10 pm

calumc wrote:im trying to forward TCP port 51098 to my router at 192.168.1.254
You use your Mint installation as router??

calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calumc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:31 pm

no, i just want to forward through the built-in firewall, at the moment the only ports that are open are default ones that are throttled by my isp

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:47 pm

calumc wrote:no, i just want to forward through the built-in firewall
Is there any chance perhaps that you would give us more details? I am out of crystal balls at the moment, my wife isn't good at Tarot cards, and palm-reading goes too far into my sex life ... and there aren't any gypsies around that I could hire to take a trans-dimensional exo-corporeal look at your setup ... I could smoke these funny-looking mushrooms, but I don't have time for the three-day orgy that usually ensues afterwards .... :D

So we will have to rely on nicely written detailed sentences that you will have to write for us, yes? :wink:

All we know right now is that you appear to have a router with a built-in firewall and that you want to forward TCP port 51098 through it. Based on this amount of information I'd say you're either in need of posting a lot more than that or you should maybe take a close look at your router's manual ...

Sorry if this sounds rude, but the small amount of information that you provide makes it next to impossible to help you. :roll:

Please provide more details. *Far* more details. :lol:

calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calumc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:03 pm

please correct me if im wrong but im under the impression that the linux kernel has a firewall built into it and that is what im trying to get through

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:47 pm

calumc wrote: please correct me if im wrong but im under the impression that the linux kernel has a firewall built into it
Yes, there is a firewall. But unless you activated it somehow (e.g. via a program such as firestarter ...?) it is not active. So whatever TCP traffic your WAN-router is forwarding to your home network should not have any troubles reaching your Linux machine. And if there is a process or program listening on the right TCP port (e.g. a p2p client configured to do exactly that?) then the connections should be established OK. So as I interpret the infos you gave so far you probably will have to configure your Internet router (what brand is it? Linksys? Netgear? D-Link? ...) to forward the traffic on port 51098 to your Linux machine's internal IP address and that's it.
calumc wrote: and that is what im trying to get through
OK, now I get it :lol: ... Sorry if I was a bit too harsh in my previous posting. My apologies :oops:

calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calumc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:56 pm

thanks for the help scorp, no worries about your previous posts, this community wouldt be what it is without your help.

Do i really have any need for a firewall with linux do you think? since im behind a firewalled router i got very few access attempts on windoze

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:01 am

calumc wrote:Do i really have any need for a firewall with linux do you think? since im behind a firewalled router
Well, the firewall is a Linux kernel feature (the core + heart of the operating system) so you can't really remove it without changing something in the kernel. But to answer: No, unless you're directly facing the internet and/or running any services that are accessible to the outside world (e.g. a web site, a forum of some sorts, etc.) then there is nothing that would require the protection of a firewall. That's as far as I can tell the reason why it is off per default.

calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calumc » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks for the help scorp!

Return to “Ethernet”