Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Stretch
Level 2
Level 2

SMB, ssh, sftp ??

Post by Stretch » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:03 pm

I have a server running Mandriva (Mint kept crashing during livecd boot).

I tried to set up SMB filesharing but it is only partially working. I can access the shared folder but I can't see any contents. Anyhow, I can access this server in Nautilus by typing network:/// in the url bar or by opening the Network directory in ~/

I can also access it using the panel applet - connect to server (earth icon). However this uses sftp:/ to access files on the server.

Another way of accessing (music) files on the server is to use rhythmbox and browse the network for them - using ssh.

Is it right that 3 different methods of accessing the server, should be used?

EDIT: just looked on the wiki page for sftp and read that:

The protocol itself does not provide authentication and security; it expects the underlying protocol to secure this. SFTP is most often used as subsystem of SSH protocol version 2 implementations, having been designed by the same working group.

So I realise that ssh forms the secure connection and sftp transfers files using ssh.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:19 am

Perhaps this link and the link in it can help you
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... smb&t=4043
samba is not simple to deal with :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: SMB, ssh, sftp ??

Post by scorp123 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:30 pm

Stretch wrote:So I realise that ssh forms the secure connection and sftp transfers files using ssh.
Yes, and the cool thing is that you only need to have a valid login account on any remote machine ... and voila, this stuff should work instantly.

Return to “Ethernet”