Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Tabby
Level 1
Level 1

Set up static IP

Postby Tabby » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi

Apparently I need to set up a static IP addr for the pc/router to use Ekiga. I'm running Mint 7.

Ubuntu forum gives a how-to, but not one I understand!
"punch in your IP, netmask, gateway, dns, etc. and you are done. "

Well, IP I understand, but the others? I've not a clue, can someone tell me what they are, where to find them etc?

thank you!

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Set up static IP

Postby viking777 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:27 am

Most of that info should come from your router instruction book/disk whatever it has or from your isp.

The netmask is very often filled in for you when you enter an ip address but as an example if your router uses the ip range beginning 192.168.0. then your netmask will almost certainly be 255.255.255.0. Google netmask and you will find dozens of entries about it.

For gateway just use the internal ip address of your router.

For dns there are two ways to go about it. You can wait until you are connected to the internet and then have a read of the file /etc/resolv.conf and that should tell you what your dns server addresses are (/etc/resolvconf is different from /etc/resolv.conf and you want the latter). Alternatively you could just stick in the Opendns server addresses which are 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.

One final thought, I hope it is a fixed 'internal' (or LAN) address you are talking about here because if it is a fixed 'external' (or WAN) address then only your isp can give you that, and I think I am right in saying that most don't. Although if you leave your router permanently connected I guess you have effectively got one anyway.

Edit. Or an even simpler way (don't know why I didn't think of this before) is to just right click the network manager applet in your system tray and select 'Connection Information' which will give you all that information in one go. (although it calls 'gateway' 'default route' but it is the same thing)
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Erinsfan

Re: Set up static IP

Postby Erinsfan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:35 pm

I was going to suggest right clicking on the network applet and choosing "Edit Connections". Before you do, note down your DNS and Primary Route addresses. You will need to add the DNS addresses on the IPv4 tab else Mint will not be able to resolve names, i.e. linuxmint.com.

Erin

Return to “Ethernet”