Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
roystreet
Level 1
Level 1

Access Permissions Problem -SAMBA

Post by roystreet » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:57 pm

I have a network with a couple vista machines & one mint linux machine. I'm trying to make the linux machine a print & file server. Mostly focusing on file server & hoping to eventually be able to access online via internet (But that is further down the line - First things first) OK, my issue...

I am using SAMBA & I create a directory & give it a simple name, "Downy". I first set the permissions so that anyone can read/write to it. I then go into SAMBA & "Add New Share", I then add the "Downy" directory. Please note, this is located in my home. I then edit the share. Clicking on the "Base Settings" tab & unchecking the box that state "Read Only" because I want users to be able to do anything basically. The "Users" tab is not changed, all unspecified users is set to "Allow" Nothing else is changed. The mint system is on the same workgroup as the rest of the machines. I can (via my vista machine) see the mint machine on my network. I can click on it & I see "Downy" & "Printers" Right now I'm now messing w/any printers, so that one doesn't matter. So, I click on the "Downy" directory & I get the following msg: (DSERVER is the name I gave to the mint machine)
\\DSERVER\Downy is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network name cannot be found.
Now, earlier I was sharing all of my home directory & I was able to access it just fine w/the other systems on my network. :( I was able to place files in the directories & even modify extisting ones. So, the permissions were working. I'm not sure if I accidentally changes something, but I've tried several times, but to no avail.

Any ideas? :roll:

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:34 pm

Perhaps Mint is not the best choice for a server - but for a desk- or laptop :)
You can see but not access from Vista
What can you do from the Mint machine?
These suddenly it does not work errors are annoying aren't they?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm

I think you need to enable the guest account in Vista, or make a user for, network sharing.
I am not in Vista but think its in Policies in the Control Panel.

roystreet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roystreet » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:53 pm

I now do agree that Mint is not the best dist to use for this purpose. On the Linux machine I could see the contents of Vista machine that had shared files. It would require a username/password, but that is because that is how I had that machine set up anyway. So, I was glad to see it was following my security design.

I kinda want to be able to place "Blame" on one of the OS's so that I could've dug into it & fixed it. Once again...Unfortunately it did work at one time, but it stopped - That has left me in a state of confusion. :shock:

I did have an odd thing occur that may be connected some sort of way. It has me stumped on why it happened. I finally decided to delete one of the directories that I had shared & just start over. I tried to delete the directory & access denied!! Wait! I'm the one who made this thing in the first place & I have deleted directories here before (I'm quite sure of it) It would tell me that I didn't have permission to delete the directory, but it stated the dir was in a different location.

Example: The dir exists in \home\roystreet\common - It is shared
I try to delete it - Access denied can not delete \network\common
Or something like that. OK, now I went & made sure I it wasn't' shared anymore. Anyway...I eventually went into that dir & open terminal, switch to root & then delete that way. I'm not sure why I couldn't delete a directory I made with my username? I don't believe it was that way at one point, but since I had that sharing issue that I've posted here I've had this problem too!

---roystreet

Return to “Ethernet”