Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Natwest
Level 1
Level 1

Web Server

Post by Natwest » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:33 pm

I have a PC that i intend to use as a server but I'm confused! Do I still need a domain name or what. Or would it be better just to go to hosting company with Linux/Mysql etc...

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Web Server

Post by scorp123 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:45 pm

Natwest wrote:I have a PC that i intend to use as a server but I'm confused! Do I still need a domain name or what.
If you need that server to be reachable from outside for others: Of course. :lol: And not just a 'domain name', you of course need a fixed IP address too, and that costs money as well. :D

Or am I misunderstanding you? You really want this server to be reachable from outside, right? e.g. host your own company's web site on it?

On second thought: Are you really really sure that you really want to run your own server? With that little knowledge you seem to have this can become quite a challenge for you. From that point of view going to a hosting company might be the better choice.

Natwest
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Natwest » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks for the input, I have read that many pages regarding servers that I can't see the wood for the trees. I think it would be best to just go to a ISP. By the way it wasn't a company site but one for union reps from various unions who work retail shops to air their views.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:53 am

Search for (free) webhosting and you'll find too any alternatives :)
The better ones can help you with domain and all that follows from that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

D-EJ915
Level 2
Level 2

Post by D-EJ915 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:45 am

You can use a computer on your own connection just fine to run a server, but I wouldn't do it for anything serious. I have my own server, but it's just for personal stuff.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:45 am

D-EJ915 yes - but if you want to serve the public in general you have to get yourself a way to always have the same address. Most ISPs do not have static IPs so you'd at least have to use a service that takes care of changing IP (goto if my memory serves me)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

jmwenz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmwenz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 pm

Husse wrote:D-EJ915 yes - but if you want to serve the public in general you have to get yourself a way to always have the same address. Most ISPs do not have static IPs so you'd at least have to use a service that takes care of changing IP (goto if my memory serves me)
No-ip is a service that you can run in the background that provides dynamic DNS redirection. You can sign up for free redirection from their site. http://www.no-ip.com

Once you have an account on their site you can then install the no-ip package from the repo.

sudo apt-get install no-ip

sudo no-ip -c

You then have to redirect the correct ports to your computer from your router.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:48 pm

jmwenz wrote: You then have to redirect the correct ports to your computer from your router.
I think that may be beyond his levels of knowledge ... with all due respect.

Return to “Ethernet”