Web Server

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Web Server

Post by scorp123 »

Natwest wrote:I have a PC that i intend to use as a server but I'm confused! Do I still need a domain name or what.
If you need that server to be reachable from outside for others: Of course. :lol: And not just a 'domain name', you of course need a fixed IP address too, and that costs money as well. :D

Or am I misunderstanding you? You really want this server to be reachable from outside, right? e.g. host your own company's web site on it?

On second thought: Are you really really sure that you really want to run your own server? With that little knowledge you seem to have this can become quite a challenge for you. From that point of view going to a hosting company might be the better choice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Search for (free) webhosting and you'll find too any alternatives :)
The better ones can help you with domain and all that follows from that
Husse

Post by Husse »

D-EJ915 yes - but if you want to serve the public in general you have to get yourself a way to always have the same address. Most ISPs do not have static IPs so you'd at least have to use a service that takes care of changing IP (goto if my memory serves me)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

jmwenz wrote: You then have to redirect the correct ports to your computer from your router.
I think that may be beyond his levels of knowledge ... with all due respect.

Return to “Networking”