How to create simple homenetwork (PCs+switch+cable modem) ?

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Elisa

How to create simple homenetwork (PCs+switch+cable modem) ?

Post by Elisa »

Hi all,

I try to make a home network just for 'learning reason', as you can see it's not professional but for learning how linux server works as well as network communication etc.

I have a PC with Mint (gnome), switch, cable modem.

Switch: in fact it's a router as well with built-in dhcp and other function but for making a home network I turned off the auto dhcpd in it and set its IP (192.168.0.250).

Cable modem: persistent net cable modem from our IP provider

PC: installed: dhcp3-server, webmin;
inside 2 NIC/cards -> eth0 set to 192.168.0.1 for routing, eth1 connected to cable modem.
BTW internet works on this PC, it's ok but:

I'm playing with all possible configurations already 2 days and have read tons how-to but still something doesn't work :?

I ran and set dhcp3 server, set iptables for forwarding ( http://wiki.ubuntu.cz/Sd%C3%ADlen%C3%AD ... ojen%C3%AD - page is in czech but the linux commands are "readable for every1 :) ")

Code: Select all

sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
       sudo iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
       sudo iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE
      sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"
Then I tried to test masqerade: netstat -aM but got error
netstat: no support for `ip_masquerade' on this system.

I have installed all netstat tools from repo.

As the switch has its own www interface/configuration I logged to it by browser and wanted to test its built-in features like: ping and new firmware check out.
Ping works from it but only as for local IPs (like 192.168.0.1 or itself IP 192.168.0.250) but receiving time out when pinging whatever else.
As for the firmware update checking I received "Unable to connect with the server for firmware information !" and therefore I do suppose even other computer connected to the switch won't be able to connect internet, probably receiving any error of timeout or unable to connect... :?
I don't have other computer to check it from it interface, just using the switch for pinging and web/firmware checking...

Can someone guide me, please, even through webmin administration or the classic way by manual configuration of any .conf files - how to set the home network? :shock:
I am sure, such dumba... is not only me (aka newbie) :lol:

After 2 days playing I'm gotta tired and don't wanna give it up and turn all that back to set the switch again back to its dhcp etc. features it has...

And finally what all I'd like to run and test/learning purposes:

I'd like to have from my PC: router, gateway, dhcp, nat, proxy cachce (for caching features and a little quicker speed then) and of course firewall features - allowing all communication, except telnet (ssh is ok) and some possible attacked dangerous communication. I don't plan run samba, apache+php or other servers like ftp (maybe later I'd try any post server).

Also I'd like set an "adult filter", which main purpose would be to drop any communication (somewhere it's called also parental control :) ) with keywords like: warez, ****, child **** etc. etc. :)
So, all communication would travel from the cable modem to eth1, routing to eth0 then to switch and then to other PCs (switch has 4 LAN slots).

I have almost everything set (but do suppose any misconfiguration is still there :( ), so if any info needed, I'll place here, just ask which wanna see.

Thanks all in advance for any guide tips! 8)
thetank
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to create simple homenetwork (PCs+switch+cable modem

Post by thetank »

I would try using these products.

(a) Content Filter
http://dansguardian.org/

(b)Education
http://dansguardian.org/?page=smoothwall

(c) All of the above.
Ubuntu to Richard Stallman