Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Porkrinds
Level 1
Level 1

Audio/Video over SMB

Post by Porkrinds » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:27 pm

History: First off I've been plagued by this bug in many gnome distrobutions (I haven't tried on KDE). At least what seems like a bug. Hopefully a solution will exist here? :)

Scenario: I mount a network share via SMB. Full read/write access. I browse the network share via GUI, get to the audio file or video file I want to watch. I double click, the responsible program opens, then gives me an error such as the following: "Totem could not play 'smb://servername/sharename/videofile.avi'" There is no input plugin to handle the location of this movie. This happens in other software, not just totem.

If I copy the file to the local machine, and double click the file, it plays just fine. I can also play audio/video just fine from locally attached storage devices such as external hard drives, flash drives, etc. So it seems that smb:// is the only thing left to blame.

I was wondering if any minters have resolved this error. I've took a quick browse on google and the ubuntu forums, but nothing really was answered. I even saw a launchpad entry, but it kind of fizzled out.

I am comfortable using the command line, so don't hold back anything :)

Thank you allowing me to take up some of your precious time.

-Porkrinds
Linux Mint 3.1

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:39 am

Hmmm ... even if it worked, performance would be horrible I guess. SMB wasn't really created with playing video files across the network in mind.

What you could try ... Guessing from the error message it seems that Totem can't handle 'smb:/' as a protocol. So what if you used shell commands such as 'smbmount' and mounted the remote SMB share so that it appeared somewhere on your filesystem as e.g. '/mnt/smb/remote/folder' .... From the perspective of any program that filesystem would appear as being 'local'. I guess this would work better.

Return to “Ethernet”