Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ebtech
Level 1
Level 1

Shared Printer Magic?

Post by ebtech » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 am

Kudos to the mint dev team. Mint is the first distro I've tried that saw my shared printer on an XP machine from the get go. No configuration required. All I had to do was boot the machine and I could print. :mrgreen:

Now my question: What is it in Mint (Celina) that does that. I'd like to enable it in my Kubuntu on my multiboot box. I looked at the installed packages in synaptic and the only difference I noticed was the fusesmb. Is that the thing that does it? If not does anyone know what it is? Samba setup in Kubuntu is still a royal pain IMO and I'd like to make it easier.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:23 am

You are spot on - fusesmb
Only I did not know it handled printers too
You (de)activate it in mintDesktop
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

ebtech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ebtech » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:10 pm

Well:
I installed Celina and could instantly view shares on the XP machine. I knew I'd have to install the samba server to get access the other direction. Then I went to try to set up the shared printer, and viola it was already in the list! So, I tried to print to it and it worked like a charm. :lol:

I've installed fusesmb on my Kubuntu but I get no joy with it. The interesting thing is, I installed Gutsy and had access to the XP shares out of the box also. However fusesmb was not installed by default. :?:

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:40 am

Beats me....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Ethernet”