Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kewlrush
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to network Mint comp to windows comp

Post by Kewlrush » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:04 pm

Ok I have done almost everything in this forum, I cant see any files on the mint comp, I have done all the samba stuff I can see the Mint comp on windows but I can not access it I get an error msg:
(Compname) not accesable, you might not have permission to use this network resource, contact administrator on this resource to see if you have permission access
Not real sure what to do can I get some help please???
The window comp is XP and Im trying to get files off my Mint comp 3.1, I hope some one can help
Thanks
[/quote]

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:28 pm

A) Have you installed samba?
B) wired connection?
C) Are the user names and work group names the same on both sides?
D) Is the error msg in Windows?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Kewlrush
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kewlrush » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:03 pm

I have installed Samba on Mint machine, I have LAN connection through router, and yes Error is in Windows...as far as the same name for both machines could you shed some light on that for me I pretty much need step by step please....

Here is what Im trying to do share a 4 gig iso file from Mint machine where i have no DVD burner to the one (the Windows machine) where I can burn it, I have no pixie sticks big enough to transport it. Is there another way to do this? that dosent cost me any money. Im open for any suggestions, but please if there is another way could you please let me know the instructions to do same, Im kinda new to linux, well I had it installed about a year ago I got pretty deep with it but it is a perishable trait and I really dont remember much. Thanks for all your help.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:31 pm

You did not understand C
The default workgroup in Mint is MS Home spelling may be different - I don't have a network :)
User name is what you log in as - if it's the same on both computers it probably works OK - you may have to give your password
There are problems with a 4 GB file - the "normal maximum size" for DVDs is 2 GB and I don't know what your network will say about it...

Kewlrush
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kewlrush » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Yes they are the same, and I think that the best thing for this file size is to get an external HD, Thanks for your help, also I would like to still set up a network between these two machines and just FYI its 1GB file transfer allowed

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:00 am

and just FYI its 1GB file transfer allowed
Now you make me confused :)
Allowed - by whom?
and in that case why even bother with 4 GB?

Return to “Ethernet”