How do I connect to my parents' XP computer?

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sayhar
Level 2
Level 2

How do I connect to my parents' XP computer?

Post by Sayhar » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:25 am

I have a laptop here on campus, and my parents have XP boxes hundreds of miles away.

I want GUI, root access over the internet to their machines so that I can install anti-viruses, scan the system, defragment, etc

Besides installing Samba, what should I do, please?

Thanks in advance.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How do I connect to my parents' XP computer?

Post by Husse » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:32 am

Perhaps you find somehting useful here
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ba+windows
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Sayhar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sayhar » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:03 pm

From what I can tell, winSCP only allows file transfer. WHat I'm asking for is more like a "remote desktop" sort of thing where I can manipulate windows through VNC or suchlike so that I can actually see the windows GUI.

Or do not understand what's going on here?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

FrozenFoxZX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FrozenFoxZX » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 pm

If the above isn't working out for you, if you want an easy solution or someone else viewing this wants an easy step-by-step solution, here it is. It seems you know what you're doing more or less, but I will stick to very simple instructions to relay the info to the parents more effectively or perhaps for ultra noobs reading this thread:

I did the remote desktop stuff with my parents' laptop in another city via the following:

1) Have them go to http://www.uvnc.com/download/index.html and download the setup proggie (i think i had them use the beta).

2) Have them go to http://www.whatismyip.com and give you their ip.

3) Have them install the ultravnc file from the desktop.

4) Have them run the ultravnc SERVER program in their start menu ultravnc folder (note: you'll want to see this on your own xp if possible, as it has a couple important options you might want to tick/change like password, what the viewer should have access to, etc). Then they'll need to click start server and they'll see the UVNC eye icon in the system tray. Also note that some machines have a bug where the person will need to double click the 'start server' or whatever its called button for it to work instead of single-click, fair warning in case that comes up for someone. :)

5) If you have KDE (or dont mind installing/using it or some of its packages, i've never tried to install just this program before), you should be able to easily run the program "krdc" (KDE remote desktop client) and then connect to this or something like it: vnc:/theiripaddress:0 (notice the slash direction!). You will probably be asked what resolution/amt of colors you want to view their machine in. I'd suggest the lowest setting at first, then increasing if it bothers you and they have the bandwidth for it.

OR: You can also do this from multiple other clients that support VNC. I think tight vnc (package tightvnc in synaptic or sudo apt-get install tightvnc in the terminal/console?) will also work just fine without the need to install KDE stuff, but you may need to change the login line (the vnc:/ipaddress:0 deal) for it to work. I find the above solution the best.

All should go well assuming there are no router/windows firewall problems.

Noob Saibot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Noob Saibot » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 pm

what about tsclient?
Enjoying the Mint Experience
"(to touch the earth is to have harmony with nature)" -hippy

Sayhar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sayhar » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:44 pm

thanks everyone. I'll try these things next time I go to their house; I don't trust them to install it themselves!

Return to “Ethernet”