Ethernet wont connect SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frostfire

Ethernet wont connect SOLVED

Post by frostfire »

I have a Dell inspiron e1505 laptop with linux mint 10. it is connected to internet via wifi. i want to share the connection with my desktop(running linux mint 11) via ethernet cable.

I changed the wifi connection setting to 'shared withother computers'. the connection works with other os i tried it with ubuntu. but i want to use linux mint 11 instead. the connection thing just keeps spinning and then it says not connected.
What to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Ethernet Says connected, but no internet....

Post by richyrich »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 53&start=0

Have you checked to make sure they each have a valid, separate, ip address ?

ps - in the future, please include relevant information.
frostfire

Re: Ethernet Says connected, but no internet....

Post by frostfire »

I dont know how to check that. And also what do u mean by relevent info? like my specs or what... i know the connection works on other os like windows...ubuntu with this pc. Its just linux mint 11 that wont connect
frostfire

Re: Ethernet wont connect

Post by frostfire »

som1 help please!!!
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

ok,

1. go into mint 10 laptop, open terminal and type ping -c 3 127.0.0.1. post results

2. go into both computers, one with the wifi connection and one with the ethernet connection, open terminal and type ifconfig post it here.

3. go into your linux mint and find "Network Connections" (should be somewhere under System -> Preferences ), or right click on the network icon in your system tray and click edit (i think). Go into Wired, select your eth0 (should be there) and press "Edit..." on the right. Tell me if in the "IPv4 Settings" tab "Method " is specified as Automatic(DHCP) or not?

4. try to connect directly to router with ethernet cable.
frostfire

Post by frostfire »

Thankyou for the response! It was the DHCP setting that was wrong i didnt realize before. I was on 'shared to other pcs' i switched it to auto(dhcp) and i connected instantly yay!
utsuwa

Re: Ethernet wont connect SOLVED

Post by utsuwa »

Glad everything worked out for you.

Return to “Networking”