Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chakraps
Level 1
Level 1

Atheros AR8151 driver installation

Post by chakraps »

My old motherboard Abit IP35-E conked out recently and has been replaced by Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo board. Dual boot setup of Win XP and Mint 9. The Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller device is not automatically configured by Mint 9. I found following discussions for manually installing the Ethernet drivers.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1806056
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476231

The crux of the procedure is to install 'build-essential' and 'linux-headers' and then manually install/configure 'atl1c' from 'compat-wireless'. I'm stuck at trying to get 'build-essential' to install. With no internet, I popped in the Mint 9 CD and tried MintInstall, Synaptic and apt-get (command line) but none are able to recognize package installation from the CD.

What is a good way for me to get the Ethernet device configured?

TIA

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Atheros AR8151 driver installation

Post by pdc_2 »

have a wee read at some of the ideas here

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 83081.html

.......from downloading what is needed ........

........to how to install a series of packages at one go ..........

............to how to edit your install list so the CD is looked at ........if indeed it is currently being ignored........

chakraps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chakraps »

Thanks for that helpful link. Now here's what happened. As was suggested in the link, I opened /etc/apt/sources.list and there was no entry related to cdrom in it. All were http entries. So I left it untouched. I then tried running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-cdrom add 
and it dumped out following message although the CD was not in the drive.

Using CD-ROM mount point /media/apt/
Identifying.. [6ebbc4349ee9f03b1a75af22880835e2-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0 signatures
W: Failed to mount '/dev/sr0' to '/media/apt/'
E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Debian Disc or the wrong architecture?
I repeated with the CD in the drive and got same result. I tried setting the mount point using the -d option as in

sudo apt-cdrom -d=/media/cdrom0 add
but got the same result.

It's 3:45am, got to snooze and get back to this tomorrow. Mean time if you got any helpful suggestions, please do list them here and I'll try them out tomorrow.

Thanks.

chakraps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chakraps »

I still haven't figured out a way to get 'build-essential' and dependencies to install from the Linux Mint 9 Isadora CD. I modified fstab to get the CD to mount at '/cdrom'. Now 'apt-cdrom' and Synaptic Package Manager are able to identify and mount the CD correctly. It looks like they start to scan the CD for index files and error out unable to locate any package files.

Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/
Identifying.. [6ebbc4349ee9f03b1a75af22880835e2-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0 signatures
E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Debian Disc or the wrong architecture?
I was wondering if the contents of the CD being in compressed format is a reason for failure. What if 'apt-cdrom' is expecting a regular directory tree to search for packages and is unable to automatically extract contents of the CD.

As an exercise I booted up Mint 9 from the Live CD. And then tried to install 'build-essential' using Synaptic. Synaptic successfully got the package and dependencies installed from the CD. There was no interent connection. So it is able to do it when running as Live CD but not when the CD is mounted on an installed system.

Any thoughts anyone?

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 »

the link I sent suggested this
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
.....that uses the sudo powers to open the file "/etc/apt/sources.list" using the text editor that is called gedit.........and allows you to make changes

(the command "gedit /etc/apt/sources.list" would open the same file but you couldn't save any changes you made.........................)

they say it is likely that in your file it will say
# cd-rom
...........or something similar .........

they say to remove the # sign, so the computer pays attention to the cd-rom entry..........that surely is the fastest way for you to get your computer to look to the cd-rom

so ..............

1. gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
2. remove the # before the cd-rom entry
3. control-save to save these changes;
4. close gedit ............I guess reboot and see if the system now recognises your cd-rom disc.........................

chakraps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chakraps »

dear pdc_2, I did try those exact same steps. There was no cdrom entry in my sources.list file. All entries were http entries. So there was nothing relevant to un-comment in /etc/apt/sources.list. So next I started looking up on how to create a cdrom entry in sources.list and the best way suggested was to use the command 'apt-cdrom' to do that. Which is what I've tried and posted the error outputs earlier.

Return to “Ethernet”