Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Extending a LAN network

Post by madwoollything »

I'm currently running out of LAN ports on my Netgear DG834 and was thinking of buying a 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch.

The question is I'd like to be able to ssh into my boxes using the ip addresses I've set up in my Netgear router.
Will adding an unmanaged switch change the ip addresses so I'll no longer be able to access my boxes if they are connected through the unmanaged switch? Will the addresses change?

Apologies for my ignorance on such matters ..... thanks
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Extending a LAN network

Post by Kilz »

If you setup the ip's as static in the router (highly recommended) they never change. If not, and say you loose power, they can all reset to different numbers. This page might be helpful.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
Anakinholland
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Anakinholland »

Kilz, you're correct, but didn't answer his question: No, adding an unmanaged switch will not change the way your network behaves. :)
Please Edit your initial post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.
madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Post by madwoollything »

Kilz wrote:If you setup the ip's as static in the router (highly recommended) they never change. If not, and say you loose power, they can all reset to different numbers. This page might be helpful.
Many thanks for your help .... I have static IP addresses already setup so this should work just fine.
The mint community is just brilliant .... really helpful :D
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just to be clear about this and to reiterate what Anakinholland said above, static ip address which are very helpful are not a requirement when using a switch. If you get your ip address from your router using DHCP you will continue to do so for any machine connected to the switch. Just make sure it is in fact a switch and not a hub.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
henkoegema
Level 1
Level 1

Post by henkoegema »

altair4 wrote:[.................................]
Just make sure it is in fact a switch and not a hub.
Why can't it be a hub?
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz »

True altair4, but the original poster was worried that the ip addresses would change. That will never happen if you setup static ip addresses for your network. Granted it may not happen, but better to be prepared imho.

@henkoegema a hub assigns ip addresses with its own dchp server, a switch just gives you more ports and relies on the routers DHCP in this instance to grant the ip's
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Why can't it be a hub?
A hub is a rather primitive device where whatever comes in one end is broadcast to every machine that is connected to it. It has no idea where the information is coming from or where it's going. It can't tell the difference between machineA or machineB.

A switch can "learn" based on the MAC address ( think of it as the serial number of the network adapter ) the difference between MachineA and MachineB. So if it receives incoming data for MachineA only MachineA receives it.

A Router connects 2 networks together - like the wide area network of the internet to your own internal lan. It uses something called Network Address Translation ( NAT - or the equivalent ) to make sure that whatever comes from the internet or from another machine goes specifically to the Machine that asked for it an no others. It also contains a DHCP server in it that can be used to explicitly allocate ip addresses to specific machines ( also using the MAC Address ) and contains a switch that allows these multiple machines to connect to it.

Hubs do not have DHCP servers, Switches do not have DHCP servers, only Routers have DHCP servers.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Ethernet”