Lisa: Randomly lose internet; solved by rebooting.

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Expez
Level 1
Level 1

Lisa: Randomly lose internet; solved by rebooting.

Post by Expez »

I'm randomly losing connection to internet. It will say connected in network settings but ping will result in host name not found. When I attempt to turn wired connection on and off, to reset, it will fail to reconnect.

The problem is currently solved by rebooting, but it might return after only a few seconds.

Network: Card-1 Atheros AR8132 Fast Ethernet driver atl1c
Card-2 Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver ath9k

I'm using Lisa, but as this is my first foray into Linux, I'm not sure what other information I should include or how to debug this situation myself.
Delfairen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lisa: Randomly lose internet; solved by rebooting.

Post by Delfairen »

I have the same issue with mint12 also

Via vt6102 wired connection
RA RT2800 wireless but turned off.
Expez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Expez »

There's a correlation with heavy internet use, but it seems random. I initially thought it was due to Deluge, and limiting open connections etc does help, to some degree. Firefox also triggers it; sometimes I loose connectivity upon launching it, other times when loading threads with tons of pics. I have never lost connectivity if I just reboot and work 'offline', by not doing anything other than diagnostic pinging to make sure I'm still connected.

My router logs no corresponding events, even at its most verbose settings.
pvbrandes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pvbrandes »

I have the same random Internet connection drop with Mint 10, Mint 11, Mint 12, and Ubuntu 10.04. I originally thought it was my built-in ethernet connector on the motherboard. So I bought a PCI network interface card. It's a Asus NX1101, and I still have the same problem with all the systems mentioned above. I can usually get the connection back if I disable (or disconnect) from the network. Then wait about 30 secs. and enable the network again. Most of the time this works, but sometimes have to do a reboot to get it working again.

The best info. I found, so far, is @ http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=83210

This is a disturbing problem as I run Windows 7 on a separate drive on the same computer (using the same NIC), and it does not have the dropped connection problem. This issue, a lack of good PDF editing software, and no easy way to install some software packages (the ones you download in compressed files) are the main reasons that are holding me back from going "all in" with Linux.

It seems, to me, that Linux is about on par with Windows 95, or maybe, 98. Sorry Linux loyalists, but everything does not "just work" in Linux. I'll just mention "Screenlets," and say no more.

F.Y.I for newbies -- like myself :) -- I have been testing several Linux distributions on a second hard drive, and so far, in my opinion, I found Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (long term support) and Mint 10 the best, stable, user friendly, and customizable Linux distros for a long time Windows user, such as myself.

I think my next step will be attempting to install a different ethernet driver as my card is not correctly identified when I issue the lspci command. An easy task in Windows. Not so much in Linux. :roll:
Expez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Expez »

I'm still suffering from this problem. I discovered that I can get connectivity back my doing ifconfig eth0 down and then up again. I tried this before, but the trick is to wait about 5 seconds before doing 'up'.

sudo lshw -C network :

Code: Select all

description: Ethernet interface
       product: AR8132 Fast Ethernet
       vendor: Atheros Communications
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: c0
       serial: 20:cf:30:75:0b:13
       size: 100Mbit/s
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.0-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=10.0.0.11 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
       resources: irq:46 memory:febc0000-febfffff ioport:ec00(size=128)

Since I can consistently reproduce the effect by not limiting the number of connections a bittorent client makes, I've tried changing ip_local_port_range from the default and all the way down to 59000 62000. I did this in several steps and this seemed to have a detrimental effect in terms of the length of intervals before losing connectivity. I run the only Linux box in the house, when I'm home on vacation. The other 4 Windows computers, connected to the same router, never experience any trouble at all.

I contacted my ISP and was told by one of the tech guys that he himself runs several different linux distros on the same type of router without issue. He couldn't help me, but he at least provided some evidence that this is a configuration issue and nothing else.
stokescj1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stokescj1 »

I am also suffering from this exact problem.

This is definitely an issue specific to Linux as my internet could cut out (tends to be after some heavy usage (e.g streaming media)) while my wife on her laptop will still have a perfect connection.

A reset will fix the issue, but this can be a pain in the ass. I have had this issue on both Ubuntu and Mint.

Seems to become more frequent as time progresses generally, a fresh install of the OS seems to reduce its frequency.

I look forward to testing if Eth0 down and then up works when it next happens. I will feedback the result.

I am supprised some Linux genious has not provided a solution to this one yet :lol:

Return to “Ethernet”