Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
eodchop
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot get BCM4311 to work

Post by eodchop » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:51 pm

Hello,

I have installed the .inf file with ndiswrapper. Does anyone have an idea? If you help me get this working i would be forever thankful. I will make a donation to the project or distro of your choice.

bash: mintwifi: command not found
ryan@ryan-laptop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
bcmwl5 invalid driver!
ryan@ryan-laptop:~$ ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5
Usage: ndiswrapper OPTION

Manage ndis drivers for ndiswrapper.
-i inffile Install driver described by 'inffile'
-d devid driver Use installed 'driver' for 'devid'
-e driver Remove 'driver'
-l List installed drivers
-m Write configuration for modprobe
-da Write module alias configuration for all devices
-di Write module install configuration for all devices
-v Report version information

where 'devid' is either PCIID or USBID of the form XXXX:XXXX
ryan@ryan-laptop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
bcmwl5 invalid driver!

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:23 am

It doesn't seem the be the right driver. Did you follow the guide from mintWifi?

Clem

manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by manishk » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:49 pm

Are your sure your card is bcm4311? Where did you acquire the .inf from??

The .inf is itself not the driver, it contains info about the driver that is to be installed. So make sure that the .inf is along with the other files of the Windows driver.

ctsdownloads
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctsdownloads » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:04 pm

This wouldn't happen to be integrated wireless with a broadcom chip, would it? If so, I would take my approach and spend $27US for a card that will work out of the box, no fooling around or head banging on the desk required. :wink:

eodchop
Level 1
Level 1

Got ndisloaded. Now no wifi light

Post by eodchop » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:04 am

Ndiswrapper has my driver loaded. (All it asks for is the .inf file). It also now recognizes the hardware is present. I cannot get my light to come on.

I have ran ndiswrapper modprobe

ndiswrapper -m

ifconfig says that its not there. Any ideas.

ctsdownloads
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctsdownloads » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:59 am

Is this an integrated wifi setup? If it is, then bingo. I had the same trouble on my Averatec notebook. Took me weeks to finally understand that even with the right driver loaded, short of removal of the chip itself, you are not likely to have many options here.

Now, if this is a cardbus adapter, that is another story altogether. But to be honest, Broadcom sucks pretty hard in the Linux world based my dealings with the chipset. At the end of the day, which is more important - the hours spent on this or a little extra money to make it work the first time.

Then again, it's your time spent. Here you go... :wink:

And yet another option might be the paid service from these guys using the Debian option. Then again, for the cost, you could do a Froogle search with the following link.

havedampton
Level 1
Level 1

This worked for me, and I'm a NEWBIE!

Post by havedampton » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:31 am

I just got a laptop with vista and the broadcom 4311.

I had many problems getting wireless until I found and followed this step by step guide at the ubuntu wiki page.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... wrapper%29

I followed this exactly (as far as I remember- like I said, I'm a newbie, so I don't know how to do anything it doesn't tell me) except for one thing-

at one point you'll see some comments, the last of which is...
On 1.35: My ndiswrapper -l showed 14E4:4311, so I used an appropriate .conf file and made no changes to it - is it a good idea?

The answer is yes. I used that file instead of the one in the guide and it worked with no modification (COOL!)

By the way- just ignore everything in the page until you scroll down to "Step 1"

I REALLY hope this helps you. When the little light on my laptop turned from orange to blue for the first time, it was a wonderful moment.

jml
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jml » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:50 pm

I agree with havedampton. The wiki that is referenced was very helpful. Part of the problem is that Ubuntu, the distro which Mint is based on loads a native Broadcom Driver. That particular driver usually does not work, so that particular driver must be blacklisted befor any other driver will work. The step by step instructions includes that paticular step. Be sure to follow it. Once I did that, things got a bit easier.

ctsdowmloads has a good point as well. If you are unsuccessful after following the instructions in the wiki, and if your laptop has a PCMCIA card slot, (not a PCI Express card slot) then a separate wireless card may be the answer. Its what I did until I was eventually able to get my Broadcom card working. Good luck.

Joe

Return to “Ethernet”