Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ctsdownloads
Level 1
Level 1

Hotel wireless

Post by ctsdownloads »

I asked this over and over at the Ubuntu forums, but apparently no one there ever leaves home to use wireless Internet offered by hotels. :)

So here's the deal. I am currently running Edgy on my notebook with a fully supported 802.11g wifi card. Any home network at all, I can connect to WEP or otherwise. However get me over to a bookstore, hotel or anything using one of those captive portals (wifi with an HTTP type login) and it does not seem to want to connect no matter what I do. I mean that it will not even show the captive portal login page at all - nothing, nada.

Here is my question: Knowing Mint is based on Edgy anyway and frankly blown away at the lack of response over at Ubuntu's forums, has Linux Mint made any headway here? This is a distro deal breaker for any traveling Linux user. The distro that nails this is the winner in my world - it's as simple as that.

Has anyone had experiences similar to this at all? If Mint nails this, I am switching today.

Thanks a bunch.

Almost forgot, I have both network selector and network monitor installed - both work at home but do not switch on a hotel network. Meaning on every hotel and bookstore network I have ever tried, complete failure whereas OS X and Win XP switch just fine....

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

LinuxMint uses NetworkManager. You can first try and install it on top of Ubuntu to see if it solves your problem (reboot after you've installed network-manager and network-manager-gnome I think).

Clem

AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AlsaPhil »

@ ctsdownloads
The distro that nails this is the winner in my world - it's as simple as that.
Can give you my experience.
I am traveling 210 days a year in several countries. With only LinuxMint (now Bianca Beta) on my laptop, without anything else (MS or other Linux soft).
Just now in a hotel in Bosnia on Ethernet. Last week in a hotel in Tunis on wifi.
Absolutely no problem. Ethernet recognized instantly, wifi the same. Really top for travelers.
For me too it was "as simple as that": the OS which do that is my only one... and that is Mint, without any discussion :lol:
Philippe

ctsdownloads
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctsdownloads »

Thanks to both of you. :)

Clem: Yeah it's wild, I have been using network manager. (Meant manager the first time, not "selector") It sees the SSIDs, even allows me to "connect" to them under Ubuntu. But bringing up the captive portal is a no go in Edgy. Is Linux Mint doing something special with Network Manager? It looks like I am not alone. Should network manager work off of the Live Mint CD? May try this at the bookstore later for some testing.

AlsaPhil: Are you working with captive portals to login? If so, then something is wrong with network manager being offered by Ubuntu's repos.

Thanks again.
Last edited by ctsdownloads on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AlsaPhil »

Yes I do, sometimes.
Especially in Airports or some hotels. No problem.
I had the same problem than you with a previous version of Ubuntu.
Really don't fear, just do it :wink:

ctsdownloads
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctsdownloads »

AlsaPhil: Nice, then that nails it then. It must be Ubuntu's implementation of NM. Will take the Live Cd for a spin. And since I use APTonCD, making the switch ought to be a snap.

Clem: Thanks again. BTW, if you would, this is something that I have been using to make managing USB Headsets and PC Speaker management much easier. It works perfectly every time. Just create a script that does the asoundconf beforehand and you would be in business. I also created a similar instance for single to dual monitors as well. It has to be setup via xorg.conf first, but I scripting a backup and then offering xorg.conf toggles is really handy when needing to switch from dual to single monitors between boots. Just respond back here and I will get you further details.

And finally, thanks. I will give this a try.

BTW, my name is Matt Hartley. I am a writer for Lockergnome.com, OSWeekly and MadPenguin.org. I would love to interview you (Clem) for an OSWeekly piece. It would be an email bit with you proof reading all the questions. Interested? matt@osweekly.com
:)

pegazuz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hotel wireless

Post by pegazuz »

ctsdownloads wrote:I asked this over and over at the Ubuntu forums, but apparently no one there ever leaves home to use wireless Internet offered by hotels. :)

So here's the deal. I am currently running Edgy on my notebook with a fully supported 802.11g wifi card. Any home network at all, I can connect to WEP or otherwise. However get me over to a bookstore, hotel or anything using one of those captive portals (wifi with an HTTP type login) and it does not seem to want to connect no matter what I do. I mean that it will not even show the captive portal login page at all - nothing, nada.

Here is my question: Knowing Mint is based on Edgy anyway and frankly blown away at the lack of response over at Ubuntu's forums, has Linux Mint made any headway here? This is a distro deal breaker for any traveling Linux user. The distro that nails this is the winner in my world - it's as simple as that.

Almost forgot, I have both network selector and network monitor installed - both work at home but do not switch on a hotel network. Meaning on every hotel and bookstore network I have ever tried, complete failure whereas OS X and Win XP switch just fine....
I use Kubuntu 6.06 on an external hard drive which connects fine to secure networks if I use KnetworkManager. I tried wifi radar and wireless tools programs which may also also you to connect to a larger variety of networks but they are more difficult figure out. KnetworkManager seems to have enough choices for me to get connected. Hotel networks vary a lot though and sometimes the band width seems to low to allow a working connection even though you have a strong signal.

AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AlsaPhil »

I tried wifi radar and wireless tools programs which may also also you to connect to a larger variety of networks but they are more difficult figure out.
... and the deal is to make it easy or "out of the box" what LinuxMint just do, isn't it? :wink:

ctsdownloads
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctsdownloads »

AlsaPhil, just to be totally sure. You have had success with captive portals using Linux Mint whereas you did not have success with captive portals (hotel wifi login) on Ubuntu? Thanks

ajt3nc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt3nc »

My lap uses a rt2500 chip which does not like networkmanager if I use the cvs builds.
If I run the older beta it will switch networks and connect to anyone.

JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

YES,

I have had the *same problem*. I wrote a Mint How To about it. I use a package called Wifi Radar to do the job, although I understand that network manager is supposed to sniff out networks. There is an article in the latest Linux Format magazine about it; but again I do not get the same screens as the article shows.

Use WifFi Radar to find the networks and login. Here is the link to my How To.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640

Regards
John

AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AlsaPhil »

sorry ctsdownloads, didn't notice your message :oops:
My positive experience is with Linux Mint.
I had some negative one with Ubuntu 6.06 and 6.10 (in the same hotels).
Regards

Return to “Ethernet”