Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Realtek - cuts in and out

Postby bird2010 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 pm

I have this device, "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller", for my wired Internet connection.

I started using Ubuntu. The Internet connection was VERY slow. I installed the latest Realtek driver and everything worked perfectly! I have the Ubuntu on a flash drive and it works. However, i read that Linux Mint was a lot better. I downloaded Linux Mint and, yes, I have to agree that I like the interface a lot more. I would like to use Linux Mint.

However, my Internet connection keeps cutting in and out every 30 seconds or so. :( I tried installing the latest Realtek drivers, but the installation failed. The worst part is that I lost the Internet connection completely! I had to go back to Windows and create a new Linux Mint 12 USB drive (using Pendrive software).

Please understand that I am very new to Linux. I know that I need to learn how to use Linux. Where can I get the latest Realtek driver that works with Linux Mint 12? How do I install the driver -- step-by-step -- recognize that I am a Linux Mint newbie who wants to learn and become part of the community.

Thanks!

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Realtek - cuts in and out

Postby bird2010 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:03 am

I used the Menu | Other | Update Manager to update my Linux Mint installation. It took A LONG time and many restarts because of the faulty Internet connection. Once it was mostly updated, I googled Realtek and downloaded the Realtek driver ( http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false ). I used Menu | Places | Downloads to get to the downloads folder. I right-clicked on the file and chose "Extract Here" to produce a folder with the driver inside.

Then I opened a terminal window and used these commands. The commands are case sensitive:

cd Downloads
cd r8168-8.028.00 [Edit: the folder name will change with new versions]
chmod +x autorun.sh [Edit: this makes the script executable]
sudo ./autorun.sh [Edit: this executes the script as root

Once I did these steps, my Realtek ethernet connection ran perfectly! The key is that I had to install the updates for Linux Mint BEFORE installing the Realtek driver.

jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jazz.h » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:15 am

My lan card was RTL8168 but the driver was RTL8169.
Than I found this:
The most of the Realtek ethernet cards are working out of the box on a Linux machine. But some of them, for e. g. the RTL8111/RTL8168, making some troubles.

In the last three Ubuntu Versions (11.10, 11.04 and 10.10) and the latest Debian testing, you will have the problem, that the noticed ethernet card above will only work with round about 200kb/s and after a while the whole network connection will break down for more than a minute and than you will be back with your 200kb/s again.

So, this is really annoying and it’s nearly impossible to work with your machine. To solve this problem you have to use the official Realtek (r8168) driver instead of the r8169 driver, which is included in the Linux Kernel.

This tutorial will show you in a few steps, how you can build the official Realtek driver for the RTL8111/RTL8168 ethernet card for Ubuntu or Debian:

http://unixblogger.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... rnet-card/

If you're affected and your case is identical, you can also read this -> -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1436667&page=3

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:37 pm

SCREAM!!!!!!!! My Internet was working perfectly and FAST after I followed my steps above. I shut down my computer and left for lunch. When I return, I turned my computer back on and, DAMN IT, the Internet does NOT WORK AT ALL. I mean NOTHING! I rebooted my computer and booted with the Ubuntu OS with the updated Realtek driver and it still works perfectly. I really like Linix Mint and I would really like to use this OS, but this is getting frustrating and time consuming.

jazz.h, I will follow your instructions. If they do not work, I will have to just use Ubuntu and give Linux Mint another shot in a year or two... Damn. I really like the Mint interface.

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 pm

I followed the instructions in the links several times, but the steps corrupted my persistent file. I am running Linux Mint off a USB drive. The links, though, did help point me in the right direction. It turns out that I simply have to "blacklist" the 8169 driver!

So, here are my updated steps. They seem to work even after rebooting my machine.

Google "Realtek" and download the Ethernet driver directly from the Realtek website.
Click Menu | Places | Downloads and right-click on the Realtek driver and select "Extract Here"
Open a terminal window and use these commands. The commands are case sensitive. "cd downloads" will NOT work:
cd Downloads
cd r8168-8.028.00 [Edit: the folder name will change with new versions. Type dir and hit enter to see available folders]
chmod +x autorun.sh [Edit: this makes the script executable]
sudo ./autorun.sh [Edit: this executes the script as root

Now, here are more critical steps. You have to "blacklist" the 8169 or it will be reloaded on your next bootup and KILL your Internet connection! (conflicting drivers)

In the terminal window, type this command:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

When you hit Enter, a editor window will open the blacklist.conf file for you to edit. Go to the very bottom and add these two lines
# Blacklist Realtek RTL8111/8169 gigabit driver
blacklist r8169

Close the editor window. It will ask you if you want to save the changes, hit Save .

Once I did these steps, my Realtek ethernet connection ran perfectly. More importantly, I was able to reboot and the Internet still worked. The key is that I had to blacklist the defective driver (8169).

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 pm

So far, so good. I have rebooted several times. The Internet still connects at a good speed.

jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jazz.h » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 am

Off course it does.
It'll stay fine.
Cheers! :wink:

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 am

Here is an update. I logged into Linux Mint this morning and my Internet connection was DEAD. Damn. I thought that I had this beat.

I retraced my steps. Yesterday, when everything was working perfectly, I decided to apply the updates to Linux Mint using the Update Manager. First, I applied all of the Level 1 updates only. Then, I shut down Linux Mint and rebooted. When I restarted Linux Mint, I could hit the Internet at good speed. I was encouraged by this fact, so I applied all of the Level 2 updates only. Again, I rebooted and I could hit the Internet. Finally, I applied all of the Level 3 updates. I rebooted and I could hit the Internet. I tested the connection speed using http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/ . The connection speed was good (3,000+ kbps). I usually hit 5,000+ kbps on my Windows 7 OS, but I recognize that I am running Linux Mint off a USB drive so everything will be slower. I was happy yesterday and I thought that I was set and ready to go. The only problem that I thought that I had is that Linux Mint takes about 3 minutes to "warm up" even after it shows the desktop. After this initial 3 minutes to "warm up", everything runs at an acceptable speed.

I logged into Linux Mint this morning and, bam!, the Internet does not work. I do not know why I feel like I have to make Linux Mint work. I have Ubuntu working just fine off a USB drive. I guess that I am not very happy with the Ubuntu interface and I would like to use the more intuitive Linux Mint interface. I know that the two versions are the same "under the hood", so I figured that if I can get Ubuntu to work, I should be able to get Linux Mint to work.

I am burning a lot of time here. I will give this one more try and I will only install Level 1 and Level 2 updates. If this still does not work, I will learn the Ubuntu interface and take that route. Damn. I really do like the Linux Mint interface.

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 am

I installed the Realtek driver (as described above) on a clean Linux Mint USB install. I rebooted and the Internet runs fast. However, now when I start the Update Manager, I get a dialog that asks for a password. Damn it. I'm done. Time to learn Ubuntu.

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:26 am

I don't know why I am still struggling with Linux Mint! I must be addicted to it. I feel compelled to make it work. Weird.

Anyway, I'm back. I re-installed a clean version of Linux Mint 12 DVD (gnome) on my USB drive using Pendrive. I updated the Realtek driver again using my steps above, including blacklisting the 8189 driver. Then, I rebooted and started using the Linux Mint 12 system. I did NOT update anything! However, the Update Manager popped up on its own and offered one single Level 1 update. I ran it and then rebooted my computer. Everything stilled worked fine. I kept using Linux Mint. I like the interface quite a lot. Again, the Update Manager popped up and offered a LOT of Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 updates. I deselected the Level 2 and Level 3 updates and I installed ONLY the Level 1 updates. Then, I rebooted my computer. Everything is still working great.

I'm getting bold here. I think that I will install the Level 2 updates and cross my fingers. I am WAY too scared to install the Level 3 updates since I lost my Internet the last time that I did that. Okay, I will install the Level 2 updates... Wish me luck...

jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jazz.h » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 pm

I haven't seen that you've inserted the new module (driver) into the kernel, as described here http://unixblogger.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/the-pain-of-an-realtek-rtl8111rtl8168-ethernet-card/

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:44 pm

I did install the r8168 using a different procedure, though. I downloaded the driver from the Realtek website and then, most importantly, I blacklisted the r8169 driver that comes standard in Linux Mint. On the link that you provided, the author gives this command "lspci -v" and tells us to look to see if "Kernel driver in use: r8168" was on the list. Yes, using the alternative install method that I listed, I have the r8168 driver running properly. My Internet connection is still working properly and nice and fast. :D

By the way, I installed the Level 2 updates. I refuse to install the Level 3 updates -- I'm too scared since I lost my Internet connection the last time that I did that.

jazz.h, I changed the display to dual extended monitors (not mirrored). Then, after I rebooted, I lost my background image. I love the Linux Mint 12 logo! The background is all blue now. I tried turning the background image back on to any image, but it won't take it. The background stays blue. Any ideas? Should I start a new thread on this topic?

jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jazz.h » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:01 am

Sorry, I had no expirience in dual view (except when hdmi ouputing to tv :roll: )
And yes, you should start a new thread, under "Desktops & Window Managers" > choose yours :wink:

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby AlbertP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 am

I think Hardware support > Graphics is probably a better category for dual-head problems.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

brute
Level 1
Level 1

Postby brute » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:23 am

I have the same exact problem and had it with Kubuntu 11.10 stable. First it works and after updates and or upgrades it stops and works either not or very slow.

I installed Beta 1 Kubuntu and no network issues at all so it may be a kernel issue at this point. I have noticed with newer Motherboards it takes Linux Kernels some time to correct driver issues. Hopefully mint can correct this issue since I love mint and it seems such a shame to stop using it to a simple thing like a network connection.

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:24 pm

@brute: My network connection is built into my motherboard as well. If you have a Realtek network connection, please follow my steps listed above. I do not know how to check the hardward in Linux Mint. In Windows 7, you open the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound, and then click on to Device Manager under Devices and Printers. Open the Network Adapters branch and check for the model of the controller.

I have a "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller". I followed the steps listed above and now my Internet connection is very fast and stable. The important part is that you have to "blacklist" the r8169 driver that comes with the Linux Mint OS.

By the way, I hate your avatar. It makes you seem mean.

bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:25 pm

I finally gave up trying to install Linux Mint on a USB drive. I discovered VirtualBox. The VirtualBox software is free from Oracle. It sets up a virtual computer on your computer. As long as you have dual cores and 2 GB RAM, you can run VirtualBox. i set it up very quickly and everything ran smoothly. Awesome! The VirtualBox still gives me a "sandbox" so applications cannot harm my main computer while I learn Linux and use Linux applications. In fact, I am using Linux Mint 12 in the VirtualBox right now.

iphg93
Level 1
Level 1

Postby iphg93 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm

*************************SOLUTION FOR REALTEK 8111/r8168 problems**********************************
Is your connection not working? or working but really slooooow? go here: (NOTE: I'm not a spammer I just wanna help as it happened to me and I was frustrated)
here: http://unixblogger.wordpress.com/2011/1 ... rnet-card/
after you have done the above it still wont work..u will have to do this:
1-Login as ROOT.
2-Disconnect the Internet.
3-search for a file called r8168.ko ,you will find it here:
/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net
4-Delete it.
5- download this file here: http://www.mediafire.com/?wtfzgaslqxj9bbx
and place it in /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/kernel/drivers/net
6-Restart your machine and enjoy full speed!

I hope it works for u as it did with me..on Mint 12 with kernel 3.0.0-12-generic 64-bit but I'm sure it will also work in 32-bit
have a good day. :D

jimzhong
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jimzhong » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:01 pm

bird2010 wrote:@brute: My network connection is built into my motherboard as well. If you have a Realtek network connection, please follow my steps listed above. I do not know how to check the hardward in Linux Mint. In Windows 7, you open the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound, and then click on to Device Manager under Devices and Printers. Open the Network Adapters branch and check for the model of the controller.

Just run lshw in terminal and you will get a lot of information about your hardware.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby AlbertP » Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Linux 3.2 solved most of the Realtek 8111/8168 issues - in Mint 13 you may not need r8168 anymore.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Ethernet”