Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Borsook
Level 3
Level 3

Will Mint 6 fork from 8.10?

Postby Borsook » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:20 pm

What are the plans for Mint 6, will it be forked from 8.10 or will just some features of 8.10 be ported in? Maybe forking it would make make adding in wubi support easier?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Will Mint 6 fork from 8.10?

Postby Husse » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:58 pm

It will continue on it's own road, good things in 8.10 will be included (and I'm afraid some bad too)
Wubi is an entirely different case - for that the wubi team must work on Mint and it seems they won't do that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Jinnai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:19 pm

Husse wrote:(and I'm afraid some bad too)
:( that's not a good sign.

AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AK Dave » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Elyssa isn't forked from Hardy. Felicia won't be forked from Intrepid. The forking happened a long time ago. Dapper? Older? I don't recall. Anyways, Mint has been a seperate but parallel distro that synchs with the latest Ubuntu release for purpose of using the same repos.

But no, Mint 6 will not be a fork of Ubuntu 8.10. Just like Mint 5 was not a fork of Ubuntu 8.04.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Jinnai wrote:
Husse wrote:(and I'm afraid some bad too)
:( that's not a good sign.

Perhaps you misunderstand a little - or not
Unfortunately our Ubuntu base means that if Ubuntu screws up we inherit that at least to some extent

ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ronnoc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:26 pm

I have been following the news out of Canonical and, overall, I am pleased with where they are going and Ubuntu seems to be headed in a positive direction. A lot of work has been going on in the LFTD front. I DO however, have concerns about Kubuntu and how this may or may not affect Mint KDE CE. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, as there are issues within Canonical about how to progress things in Ubuntu quickly while not being tested on Kubuntu and this practice has caused problems lately.

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby belovedmonster » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:47 am

I do believe that the KDE version of Mint is based on the GNOME version of Mint (which is based on Ubuntu 8.10) and hence not directly based on Kubuntu 8.10. :shock:

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:24 am

This is one of the oddities - Mint KDE is not based on the main edition - it's based on Kubuntu but is of course transformed to Mint standards. I think it's undecided if Felicia KDE will be based on Elyssa KDE or forked again

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Postby clem » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:24 pm

Hi,

Mint 6 will be based on Mint 5.. so the fork here was done with Edgy and Barbara. Mint 6 KDE CE will feature KDE 4 and it will be re-forked from Kubuntu Intrepid.

Clem.

ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ronnoc » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:33 pm

clem wrote:Hi,

Mint 6 will be based on Mint 5.. so the fork here was done with Edgy and Barbara. Mint 6 KDE CE will feature KDE 4 and it will be re-forked from Kubuntu Intrepid.

Clem.

Great to hear. I personally am ready for KDE 4. Well, at least by the time 4.2 is out. Good luck with the new release - I hope it goes smoothly.

Borsook
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Borsook » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Husse wrote:It will continue on it's own road, good things in 8.10 will be included (and I'm afraid some bad too)
Wubi is an entirely different case - for that the wubi team must work on Mint and it seems they won't do that

Why would Wubi team have to do anything? Wubi is open and there is nothing preventing using it's code for Mint. Looking at it seems fairly straight-forward, only the part inherited from Lupin may be problematic. And unless I am much mistaken, with Hardy there were a few changes brought that made it work together much more easily, hence my thought that maybe forking from Intrepid would make Mint-wubi easier...

Plus with a new fork Mint would probably inherit the new install option added in Hardy (the one that does not require one to boot the system first)

That said, I do realize it might require more work and that be not feasible...

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby msuggs » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:09 pm

I've not used Wubi but it sounds like an unpleasant option. If you can install Linux without having to reboot at what point do you realise that you are installing a new OS that is a separate entity from Windows. At least if you reboot into a live install CD you are making that choice to boot into something new. I think this would only cause confusion for some new users.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:02 pm

Ok - let me put it this way - neither Mint nor the Wubi team has the time/resources needed to port it to Mint
In the end you have to prioritize

Borsook
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Borsook » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:40 pm

@Husse - That's a perfectly valid reason of course... Although adding Wubi support would make Mint the most beginner friendly distro of them all :)

omns wrote:I've not used Wubi but it sounds like an unpleasant option. If you can install Linux without having to reboot at what point do you realise that you are installing a new OS that is a separate entity from Windows. At least if you reboot into a live install CD you are making that choice to boot into something new. I think this would only cause confusion for some new users.

You seem to be operating under a serious confusion about what Wubi is and how it works. I'd really recommend you try it out before forming an opinion, anyway to straight things out a bit - You do reboot into "something new", installation progresses more or less the same, with one very important difference - you start it under an existing system (this step takes under 1 minute) be it windows (Wubi) or Linux (Lubi), the installer creates a file on the disk which then is "mounted" so that your Ubuntu installer sees it as a new partition. So, you do not have to modify your current partition structure, to uninstall you can just remove this file without worrying about MBR trouble etc. Hence it is perfect for somebody who wants to just try Ubuntu and is afraid to, or just doesn't have time to resize partitions. Moreover if you like your W(L)ubi installation you can very easily (using a simple GUI) move it to a new partition, resulting in a system which in 100% looks like a "normal" installation.

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby msuggs » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:24 pm

So if I understand you right you create a disk image in Windows that Linux is installed in to and then you launch this from within Windows to reboot in to Linux. Reboot or not this seems really clunky in my opinion and would cause more confusion than is intended.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:22 am

Some news - Merlwiz79 is working on Wubi with some success and may have got it working
After that there's the question of space on the CD
This is not to say it will be included, but there is a chance now

xnef1025
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xnef1025 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:13 pm

omns wrote:So if I understand you right you create a disk image in Windows that Linux is installed in to and then you launch this from within Windows to reboot in to Linux. Reboot or not this seems really clunky in my opinion and would cause more confusion than is intended.

You don't have to run it from Windows. It adds a boot loader that sees the Wubi disk image as a bootable disk so you can dual boot. The image can be up to 20GB, IIRC, so it lets you really test out Ubuntu(and maybe soon Mint, great news and props to Merlwiz, Husse) more than a live CD can. There is a slight performance hit since you are running an image, but it's way less than a CD and a halfway decent modern system isn't going to notice much. Once you are done testing, you can just uninstall Wubi and your original boot loader is returned.

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby msuggs » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:28 pm

OK great :) If people think it works then give it a go. It's probably best that I stay out of the conversation as my opinion is to subjective to be useful. I don't like the concept of Wubi and that's not likely to change.

As always, kudos to Merlwiz79 for his great efforts and commitment to Mint :)

puntai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby puntai » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:38 pm

I just signed up to voice my support for Wubi for Mint. I think it would be an essential addition to the distro.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 am

There is no guarantee that it will be included in Felicia (Mint 6) but we hope so
There are some problems, mainly with grub and some security issue that is hard to solve

Return to “About Mint Editions”