Mint Minimal ISO (Yes like Ubuntu)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint Minimal ISO (Yes like Ubuntu)

Post by Petermint »

Hello MrEen,
Just joking about the option to include a kernel.

What would be relevant for some installations is the option to select an older kernel that works with older hardware or a kernel that avoids an error in a new kernel.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 pm You can remove programs you don't need or want, after installing Linux Mint.
You can but I wouldn't recommend it. I've already tried that and removing too much (about 10 programs I never use) mandatorily breaks the system - Synaptic keeps crying about broken packages and if you reboot, there's no telling whether the system will start. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The only way to avoid breaking that I have found so far is to fully update all category 1 and 2 after fresh installation and then remove programs. IDK what that's so, but it is - an unupdated system breaks easily by removing unnecessary programs. That's why I too was searching for Mint minimal ISO which led me to this topic.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

I'd love a minimal install, but for the moment I have to manual remove stuff.

I have a requirement for a very trimmed-down install for some VMs I use, so get rid of pretty much all the pre-installed apps. It takes me a good hour, which is a bloody long time imo...

I run Mint xfce and after an install (no 3rd party add-ons), I use synaptic to remove all the apps found under the whisker menu, with the exception of many of the accessories (calculator, catfish search, etc).

I also get rid of jre, the printing sub-system, all image and PDF-viewing/decoding/processing options, foreign-language libraries, dictionaries and help-files and probably a bunch of other stuff I've forgot to mention.

I've never had any issues with update manager/synaptic complaining about missing/broken dependencies.

When I first started doing this type of system 'cleanup', I'd do a reboot and an update-manager refresh after the removal of any major software component and never hit any snags.

Cheers,

Mike.
aaronrv

Post by aaronrv »

SmileY wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:31 pm Hi folks, i tried to search about but can't find anything related on forum.

Is possible or someone already have this idea?
To create a minimal iso installation like Ubuntu?
Also what is the benefits for mint?

And if it is possible to make a flavor with only a set of applications line windows in old days (Notepad, calc etc.)
Without some programs like transmission, office etc.

But including all features of desktop: Driver manager, ppas, and other cool things from mint.

Thanks for read.
In my opinion, this is a good idea, for people who has a bad internet, or for people with limited internet. I have a limit of 500GB, and I don't want to burn most of my network allowance by downloading a bunch of .isos. When I want to download an .iso, I always look for a minimal version, so I can make my 500GB last longer. So, is it really possible to create one? I hope so, looking forward to an .iso like that :D
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

frisket wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 am
You can use Plop Boot Manager for such situations. It's a small boot manager that you can burn to CD or install to your hard disk and it will allow booting from USB on computers that otherwise don't support that. https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html
Thanks!

Plop? Rubbish Company name but very handy utility. Bookmarked :D
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
zwanzika_hatzel

Post by zwanzika_hatzel »

OMG, I would LOVE a minimal installation of linux mint. Kubuntu has it, and it's awsome. I wish mint and xubuntu had it too!! :(
Seff

Post by Seff »

To me "minimal" means "sans GUI", like Arch. It seems a bit daunting at first, but then you realize how much of the documentation isn't relevant to your computer. nixOS, which is now running on my desktop, has both minimal and GUI images, which have the entire manual in a file. Plus you can install any DE you want, or none, just by editing the configuration file.

That's a workable system for me- simple, doesn't require a second device to read the manual, lets me install what I want. It would be a good idea to make sure you have the right Wifi driver and check whether your favorite apps are packaged, though.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”