Cinammon or MATE on old-ish 1GB RAM netbook?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frsu

Re: Cinammon or MATE on old-ish 1GB RAM netbook?

Post by frsu »

For my little netbook I am looking at Mint LMDE Cinnamon/Mate. From the Live USB it runs fine. Will probably turn into an install coming weekend. :)
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

doesn't matter; the computer is not old enough to make a difference, whatever the DE

MATE is quite stable; the new Cinnamon 1.6 might be good. KDE is a good alternative.

Just install with MATE, then add all the other destops, you can switch back and forth
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ turboscrew:
If the computer is only 2 years old then you can be 99% sure it has Intel, AMD or NVidia graphics. The 2D version is quite CPU heavy, which can be a problem if your software also needs to make heavy use of the CPU. Cinnamon is probably becoming default; Mate won't be removed anywhere soon however since a lot of users want us to keep Mate.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

mate 2.0 would be nice, something to look forward to, ;]
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

Thanks from my part.
I guess MATE is the first to be tried.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Mate is a very good desktop for a netbook. Especially the original Mint menu is outstanding.

Tried LMDE because the Ubuntu version 12.04 does not run on my netbook. 12.10 does.

Well, tried LMDE but it does not work for me. Debian is too difficult to install for me lacking experience with partitions. :cry:

So now waiting for Mint 14. :)
nostromo

Post by nostromo »

gary428509 wrote:LXDE. It's awesome.
Yep,...Lubuntu is very snappy (has a nice clean look to it)on my Asus eeepc 1015pe (1 g ram),although ram is cheap your netbook is probably up-gradable to 2 GB.with my DE up and running Lubuntu uses approx 160-190 meg (thats with Docky running)and 250-300 with Chromium running.
Wouter_db

Post by Wouter_db »

LM 14 XFCE runs awesome on my oldish EeePC, 1000mhz 1Gb RAM. Even with tons of background aps installed it still runs great and is very customizable (well, except Flash, but that hates linux grrr). Cinnamon was to heavy, and Mate to...hmm boring. :wink:
Goro Daimon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Goro Daimon »

Mate forever!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”