Is it risky using an unsupported version?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iain_j

Is it risky using an unsupported version?

Post by iain_j »

I've only recently learned about the life cycle of Mint versions, and found out version 14 is only supported until next April (?). I'm thinking, since I've only just got settled in 14, rather than upgrading again on every new release until the next LTS version, or downgrading to 13, is there any risk in staying put on 14 until the next LTS?

I realise it wouldn't be on a par with using Win XP after Microsoft pull the plug & leave the door open to hackers 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Is it risky using an unsupported version?

Post by tdockery97 »

In your situation there is nothing to be concerned about. The next LTS release will be due out when Mint 14 reaches end of life.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

That's solved that then! :lol:

Will that be ver 17 then? And then the next one after that 21?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

iain_j wrote:Will that be ver 17 then? And then the next one after that 21?
Correct. While an LTS version is supported for 5 years, there is a new LTS every 2 years. Imagine trying to install an LTS from 4 years ago. Can you picture 5GB of updates? :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

As someone who considered fixing my dad's old PC by reinstalling XP... with 10 years of updates to come... yes I could imagine :D

And that's why put Linux on it instead 8)
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

Coming back to the original question though - would there be any risk if I carried on using a version past its use by date, and didn't upgrade?
passerby

Post by passerby »

You won't have the most up to date software, and you won't receive some fixes, but I wouldn't call it a "risk".
It's not like Mint14 will suddenly become a high-risk OS once support ends. Hell, there are still people running Ubuntu 10.04 servers.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

iain_j wrote:Coming back to the original question though - would there be any risk if I carried on using a version past its use by date, and didn't upgrade?
Yes. In the past I would have said there was little risk, but without Security Updates you can be open to problems like this:
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 63892.html
Linux has become so easy to install, and distros like Debian Stable have 3 years support, Ubuntu and Mint Long Term Support releases are 5 years. If you want longer support chose versions like those. Maybe a half hour to install (if that) and you need not worry about it for years to come :-)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

passerby wrote:there are still people running Ubuntu 10.04 servers.
But

Code: Select all

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
states that servers running Ubuntu 10.04 are still supported (and will be until April, 2015), so that's hardly surprising (and perhaps not relevant, lol).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
nuiq2

Post by nuiq2 »

I have read the above questions and responses, but I'm still puzzled. I guess I'm still thinking Windows, rather than Linux, but...

I have been using Linux Mint 15 Mate for the past six months. I like it and would like to continue using it until the Mint 17 Mate LTS release comes out in May 2014. However, this six-month gap between January and May seems like a long time to go without any updates. I realize that I can live without any Firefox browser updates, but what about the security issues? Any hidden dangers that I need to be aware of?

If this is a stupid question, then so be it. But I'd rather be accused of asking stupid questions than of blindly proceeding with my head in the clouds and ignoring any possible consequences that may occur.

Thank you.
konjad

Post by konjad »

I am going to use LM15 until LM17 as well, I doubt there is any kind of serious risk, 6 months is not that long, I guess. And installing FF updates should be possible anyway, you don't have to do it from the software center.
passerby

Post by passerby »

nuiq2 wrote:I have read the above questions and responses, but I'm still puzzled. I guess I'm still thinking Windows, rather than Linux, but...

I have been using Linux Mint 15 Mate for the past six months. I like it and would like to continue using it until the Mint 17 Mate LTS release comes out in May 2014. However, this six-month gap between January and May seems like a long time to go without any updates. I realize that I can live without any Firefox browser updates, but what about the security issues? Any hidden dangers that I need to be aware of?

If this is a stupid question, then so be it. But I'd rather be accused of asking stupid questions than of blindly proceeding with my head in the clouds and ignoring any possible consequences that may occur.

Thank you.
Isn't it only a 3 month gap? The new interim support period was 9 months, not 6.

Anyway, as much as the importance of updating is stressed, realistically speaking, I don't think there will be any major problems with you sticking with Mint 15 until 17 arrives.
As long as it's a personal home computer that's reasonably up to date, not a server or public computer, the only real risk is attached to the user :lol:
nuiq2

Post by nuiq2 »

Thanks, konjad and passerby. Yes, maybe the gap is more 3 or 4 months than 6. I suppose it would depend on when in January and when in May you are counting from. Sorry.

I have a live DVD of Mint 16 Cinnamon. Even though I'm partial to Mate, I could use Cinnamon for a few months if I had to.

Just for insurance, I could do a backup of /home, and if something did happen to my Mint 15 installation, I could install 16 Cinnamon using manual partitioning and try to restore my backedup material. I've never tried doing this but it is a possibility.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”