Dual boot with windows/mnt

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dfledford

Dual boot with windows/mnt

Post by dfledford »

I'm fairly new to Linux Mint and I would like to know how to change the boot order when my computer comes up so that I can have Windows 7 as default. This will be easier for my wife just to hit enter for windows.
Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Dual boot with windows/mnt

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Enter yuor password when it is requested and a window should open that looks like this

Code: Select all

# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
The important line here is "GRUB DEFAULT". You must change the "0" to the proper number for Windows. Tofind this number, press any key when th grub boot menu s on screen (stops timer). Starting with the first entry (Mint)count down to the Windows entry. Start counting with 0 rather than 1 (This is the way grub counts) and count every line, even those not referring to an OS directly (I believe there is a line "Other Operating Systems" after the last Mint entry. (Count this line). Close the Window when all changes are made and saved

Change the grub default from 0 to the number for Windows, click "Save"in the toolbar at the top, and Windows will be the new default boot. It will not change position in the menu, but it will be highlighted and will boot automatically if no other choice is made during the time out interval (or if enter is pressed without selecting an OS)

You can also change the timeout interval by changing "GRUB TIMEOUT" from 10 to any value down to 0. Again, click "Save" to change the setting permanently.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

in addition from ag's post above, after changing /etc/default/grub and save the file, on terminal, you need to do this :

sudo update-grub
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Thanks wayne128.

I usually forget to do this when I change grub. Stands to reason that I would forget to mention it in a how-to.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”